Community - Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: true wind
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:50 am 

how do I find true wind direction

Post subject: Re: true wind
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:58 am 

SOM A-In-NS posted this some time ago. Hope it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAgSnzc1AvY

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:30 am 

Silverclive wrote:
SOM A-In-NS posted this some time ago. Hope it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAgSnzc1AvY

Link does not work.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:02 am 

there is something about the wind box at bottom left

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:58 am 

You need to find out the exact angle of the wind, then you can use a calculation to find the exact tail- and sidewind.

At first you determine the base angle of the wind by judging the wind-image shown in-game.
The wind goes clockwise in 22.5° steps: 0°, 22.5°, 45°, 67.5°....

Lets say you have 3 wind going straight from left to right, which is obviously 90°

Now you drag the cursor from 50% to the point where the in-game-shown wind turns.

If the in-game-shown wind turns at about 50%, you need to add 22.5°
If the in-game-shown wind turns at about 0%, the wind is actually correct (add 0°)

So in this example lets say the wind turns at about 25%.
That would be 11.25°

Add this to the base angle we determined earlier and we get the correct wind angle of 101.25°

Now to calculate the exact parts of the wind, you may use this calculation:

tailwind = cosine(angle * PI / 180) * wind;
sidewind = sine(angle * PI / 180) * wind;

tailwind = cosine(101.25 * PI / 180) * 3;
sidewind = sine(101.25 * PI / 180) * 3;

tailwind = -0.59m/s
sidewind = 2.94m/s

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:29 pm 

DvS24 wrote:
You need to find out the exact angle of the wind, then you can use a calculation to find the exact tail- and sidewind.

At first you determine the base angle of the wind by judging the wind-image shown in-game.
The wind goes clockwise in 22.5° steps: 0°, 22.5°, 45°, 67.5°....

Lets say you have 3 wind going straight from left to right, which is obviously 90°

Now you drag the cursor from 50% to the point where the in-game-shown wind turns.

If the in-game-shown wind turns at about 50%, you need to add 22.5°
If the in-game-shown wind turns at about 0%, the wind is actually correct (add 0°)

So in this example lets say the wind turns at about 25%.
That would be 11.25°

Add this to the base angle we determined earlier and we get the correct wind angle of 101.25°

Now to calculate the exact parts of the wind, you may use this calculation:

tailwind = cosine(angle * PI / 180) * wind;
sidewind = sine(angle * PI / 180) * wind;

tailwind = cosine(101.25 * PI / 180) * 3;
sidewind = sine(101.25 * PI / 180) * 3;

tailwind = -0.59m/s
sidewind = 2.94m/s

Ok, now I'm confused :roll:

1 - is the wind direction bug also on the Driving Range?
2 - if this is true and i set the wind to East as in your example, is the wind angle 90%? (wind arrow changes if i press cursor right 1 time) or is the wind angle 90% + 22.5% ( arrow changes between 22 and 23 presses on the left cursor).

I was always of the assumption that the wind bug was as follows with your example of wind to the East:
wind % = 90% (East) + the number of clicks to the left where the wind arrow changes + 11.25

This was taken from a website many years ago where it was explained including pictures
Quote:
Each arrow direction signifies 22.5 degrees inside the azimuth. By moving the camera just enough so the arrow moves one way, then back the opposite direction until it changes again you can gain a feel for where inside the 22.5 degrees it is truly pointing. However, you still need to add 11 degrees to what you see, because of the bug with the wind.

It is possible that the wind ARROW showing a wind direction coming from the South (180 degrees)- pointing North (0 degrees), could actually be as far off as halfway to the NE, or about 32 degrees

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:19 am 

Swoopydo wrote:

Ok, now I'm confused :roll:

1 - is the wind direction bug also on the Driving Range?
2 - if this is true and i set the wind to East as in your example, is the wind angle 90%? (wind arrow changes if i press cursor right 1 time) or is the wind angle 90% + 22.5% ( arrow changes between 22 and 23 presses on the left cursor).

3- I was always of the assumption that the wind bug was as follows with your example of wind to the East:
wind % = 90% (East) + the number of clicks to the left where the wind arrow changes + 11.25

This was taken from a website many years ago where it was explained including pictures
Quote:
Each arrow direction signifies 22.5 degrees inside the azimuth. By moving the camera just enough so the arrow moves one way, then back the opposite direction until it changes again you can gain a feel for where inside the 22.5 degrees it is truly pointing. However, you still need to add 11 degrees to what you see, because of the bug with the wind.

It is possible that the wind ARROW showing a wind direction coming from the South (180 degrees)- pointing North (0 degrees), could actually be as far off as halfway to the NE, or about 32 degrees

Point 1:

It's not really a bug. It's only that the game will show the the "basic wind direction" and not the exact angle of the wind.
Probably on purpose so the game is more challenging and unpredictable.
On the driving range you will have the exact wind as shown in game:

0°, 45°, 90°, 135°, 180°, 225°, 270° and finally 315°.

Point 2:

Yes, if you set the wind direction to east on the driving range, the angle of the wind will be exactly 90°.
You can verify this by dragging the cursor from 50% to 0% on the power-bar. The wind will switch by 0%.
The distance between 50% and 0% equals exactly 22.5° (one wind direction)

Point 3:
Never really thought about doing it that way, because it may require a lot of clicks sometimes, but yes, you could add 1° per click since 1 click = 1°

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:48 am 

DvS24 wrote:
Swoopydo wrote:

Point 3:
Never really thought about doing it that way, because it may require a lot of clicks sometimes, but yes, you could add 1° per click since 1 click = 1°

[/size]

It does exist and I explained it in an old video in French (I'm planning to remake one this summer, a bit differently)..., but from your target line you need to click right (clockwise) until the wind arrow switches to the "previous" wind direction (or the next anti-clockwise direction, put it that way), then substract 0.5 click.
Knowing that one click is worth 1° angle, then your possible values range from 0.5 to 21.5 (22.5 would mean that you clicked 23 times, which is possible only if the actual angle offset is between 22 and 22,5°; basically take the next clockwise wind direction as a true one and that's it^^);
It is the same angle offset that DvS described above, just calculated more exactly but much slower.
It's in fact useless to be that accurate reading your wind, on a 45s or 60s timer you have MUCH more important to figure out to make a good shot ;) In fact the faster you are reading your wind, the better you will become with timers.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:48 pm 

RombinatoR wrote:
It does exist and I explained it in an old video in French (I'm planning to remake one this summer, a bit differently)..., but from your target line you need to click right (clockwise) until the wind arrow switches to the "previous" wind direction (or the next anti-clockwise direction, put it that way), then substract 0.5 click.
Knowing that one click is worth 1° angle, then your possible values range from 0.5 to 21.5 (22.5 would mean that you clicked 23 times, which is possible only if the actual angle offset is between 22 and 22,5°; basically take the next clockwise wind direction as a true one and that's it^^);
It is the same angle offset that DvS described above, just calculated more exactly but much slower.
It's in fact useless to be that accurate reading your wind, on a 45s or 60s timer you have MUCH more important to figure out to make a good shot ;) In fact the faster you are reading your wind, the better you will become with timers.

I'm not using the clicks myself, it was just to explain that 1 click is 1% direction change :-) I use the big shotbar and swipe from 50% to 0% to guestimate the wind direction 8-)

Now here's another question for you Pro's. I've noticed on the Driving Range that the target circle changes it's position when you change the wind speed. It's not very much, about 1 to 2 yards per 1m/s wind increase.
Do you guys use this information in any way?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:32 am 

Swoopydo wrote:

Now here's another question for you Pro's. I've noticed on the Driving Range that the target circle changes it's position when you change the wind speed. It's not very much, about 1 to 2 yards per 1m/s wind increase.
Do you guys use this information in any way?

It does change because aiming circle takes trajectory changes into account (but not wind effect on distance nor on direction)
I don't use that information because we're aiming with that circle anyway^^
But I'm aware I need to over-compensate whenever I don't play with the aiming circle, so playing with %

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:53 am 

Wow guys that's a lot of excellent information thanks so much I hope I will do it justice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:46 am 

has anyone done a video on how to find the true wind?

also is there a good way to find out what percentage you need to adjust (per club) for head and tail wind