Community - Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Charting/Chart related
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:17 pm 

Here is where we will index Charting/Chart related tips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:56 am 

Charting / Chart related topics

here is a helpfull beginner putting chart:

1y 11%
2y 15%
3y 20%
4y 24%
5y 28%
6y 33%
7y 36%
8y 40%
9y 44%
10y 48%
11y 52%
12y 56%
13y 59%
14y 61%
15y 65%
16y 69%
17y 72%
18y 75%
19y 78%
20y 81%
21y 84%
22y 87%
23y 90%
24y 93%
25y 96%
26y 99%
27y 102%
28y 105%
---------------------------
the chart will work with the beginner putter from level 1 to about level 30.

Submitted by:Vivastar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:56 am 

My tip is to CHART YOUR WEDGES. This will improve your game immeasureably.

The best way to do this is to visit Ceredwin (at the bottom of the stairs in the square) and select FIELD PRACTICE HOLE.

The reason why you chart your wedges in the field practice hole and not the driving range, is that you need to allow for the roll of the green and also spin on the green (though at beginner stage spin will be minimal).

Once you enter the field practice hole, you should note the weather conditions. You don’t want to be charting clubs in extreme weather, so keep re-entering the room until you get reasonably calm weather (wind no greater than 2 m/s).

On the upper right hand side of the screen you will see a map of the hole. If you move your mouse pointer to any location on the map, PRESS ALT and left click the mouse, your toon will move to that position on the course. To chart your wedges, you should position your toon on the fairway on eastern side of the green, approximately 5 -10 metres from the edge of the green .

Charting your wedges simply involves recording the distance the ball travels at various power percentages. I suggest you record distances at 5% intervals for all your wedges. For example:

SW

Power Distance
10% 4
15% 8
20% 12
25% 17

… and so on up to 100%.

Once you have levelled your toon to a point where you have added a reasonable amount of skill (say 15 to 20) you should consider charting with backspin. Using backspin will help you check the ball on downhill lies and on a green that is sloping away from you.

Submitted by: stuartmcl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:00 am 

How to hit out of sand on rufus which comes in very handy as new players will spend a lot of time there Smile

This requires that you've charted like previous posters have talked about.

The basic guideline I use is to add 1/3 to the distance and hit like you would from fairway. E.g. 21y plays like 28y from fairway.

(To come up with this you just check how much power is taken away from your sand shots. For me it's 64-82% which in average is 73%, which is close enough to 75% to use that for a nice number to work with. To get the true distance then, you divide the distance by 0.75 which is the same as adding 1/3.)

However, the ball rolls more from sand so you need to hit a bit weaker if you don't want to use backspin.

How to hit with backspin will differ depending on your build. I usually put 1 dot backspin and add 10% to power. E.g. 21y plays like 28y = 36% for me. Put one dot and add 10% gives 46%. This should work for high skill builds. As a beginner you can add full backspin, but check your distances on the range so you know how much full backspin takes away from your shots.

And on rufus always, always, always check your lie and the slope of the green where the ball will land and roll.

Submitted by: Llewyn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:00 am 

Do you want to improve significantly your score?

Go to the character Ceridwen which is the very first character you meet during your training.

Click on here and go to driving range and chart all your Irons!!!

take your iron 9 and hit the ball at 10% of power bar...note the yardage
do same at 20%...note the yardage
do this operation until you hit 100%
Congratulation!!!! you have just charted your 9 iron

Repeat operation with 8,7,6....all your irons!!!

Some people will chart their clubs at every 5% encrements...i recommend it Smile

Now you have charted all your irons ...you will be a champion!!!

Good luck

TheBobbyJones SO master/JL Guild

Submitted by: hagriddddd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:01 am 

I haven't seen this one posted yet, so i'll thow it out

LEARN FROM YOUR SHOTS

Everything is a learning experience. If a shot didn't do quite what you wanted, ask yourself why? There's a bunch of variables (Wind, Lie, Elevation, Stats, etc.) that affect your shot. How do you compensate the next time to make yourself a better player.

Thanks

Submitted by: bpslimjim

Post subject:

First of all hello all beginner and all SO member...there are many tips that people give out but i thought that u might need somethin different Razz

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT % GOES WHAT YARD? BUT BUT HERE IS A SW,AW,PW, AND AND AND 9i with full backspin CHIPS FOR YOU. Only for beginner PLAYERS!

Most people use SW and its very helpfull...u can use AW,PW when u want ur ball to roll more...and also let me tell u that use 9I with full backspin when there is headwind and u want to get ur ball near hole or u can even use it like SW! that will help ur ball to be close to hole Razz

JUST WANTED TO SAY THAT DON'T BUY CLUBS TELL U GET TO LVL 21 OR HIGHER AND ALSO DONT ADD STATS TO UR STAMINA. IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO BUILD UR STATS THEN ASK SOME ONE IN SQUARE!

SW CHIP

10%....................1.1yard
15%....................3.0 yard
20%....................5.9 yard
25%...................6.9yard
30%...................10.3yard
35%...................14.0yard
40%...................18,8yard
45%...................22.1yard
50%...................25.7yard
55%...................29.4yard
60%...................33.4yard
65%...................38.4yard
70%...................41.1yard
75%...................46.1yard
80%...................48.5yard
85%...................51.4yard
90%...................54.2yard
95%...................57.5yard
100%.................60.7yard

AW CHIP

10%....................2.4 yard
20%....................9.0 yard
30%...................15.7yard
40%...................22.0yard
50%...................34.3yard
60%...................41.6yard
70%...................53.2yard
80%...................63.0yard
90%...................69.5yard
100%.................75.1yard

PW CHIP

10%....................3.0yard
20%....................7.9 yard
30%...................18,5yard
40%...................27.5yard
50%...................41.2yard
60%...................51.7yard
70%...................62.9yard
80%...................73.9yard
90%...................82.7yard
100%.................90.6yard

9I CHIP...WITH FULL BACKSPIN DON'T FORGET!
10%....................2.7yard
15%....................4.3yard
20%....................7.4yard
25%...................11.7yard
30%...................15.7yard
35%...................20.7yard
40%...................27.3yard
45%...................31.2yard
50%...................39.2yard
55%...................43.7yard
60%...................48.8yard
65%...................53.5yard
70%...................59.7yard
75%...................65.3yard
80%...................67.9yard
85%...................73.0yard
90%...................76.6yard
95%...................81.3yard
100%.................85.1yard

HOPEFULLY THIS CHARTS HELP UR CHIPIN NEW PLAYERS AND ONE MORE THIN I WANT TO SAY IS THAT NEVER LEAVE ANY GAME WHEN U STARTED IT...IF UR NEW AND DONT HAVE NG OR CYMA/MAG THEN HERE IS THE SHOT ONLINE WEBSITE THAT SELLS MUST OF THE ITEMS IN GAME!

GOOOD LUCK SEE YA ON GREEN!

Submitted by: mohamad

Post subject:

My take on putting....I use a Werdandi putter (love the slow bar). I am not the best ingame putter, but I rarely ever 3 putt.

I ALWAYS count the lines and movement. For example a 10 yd putt with 9 lines between me and the cup and gently moving lines right to left with no elevation change (i.e.: 10yd/0m) I would go 5 clicks right and hit my putt 40%. I have found that uphill putts break less than downhill putts, the more the slope the more significant, so if the same putt was 10yd/+0.2m I would do 3 or 4 clicks right and hit it for 12 yds, or 46%. Conversely if it was 10yd/-0.2m I would do 7 or 8 clicks and hit it for 8yds, or 35%. In other words I add or subtract a yard for each .X per meter of slope. This is up to about .8 then it takes some practice to get the 'feel' since at that point the distance gets a little more subjective, especially the longer the putt ( it usually needs less power than indicated by the +M.

The faster the lines the more adjustment needed right or left.

Notes for once you get pretty good at reading the greens:
1) On courses like Rufus, you need to watch for up and down slopes on the same putt, so even though it might say +0.5m, the last few yards of the putt might actually show down slope and you would subtract a couple of the +'s from your estimate. (Rufus loves to put the cup right at the crown of the hill quite often)

2) On anything less than 2 yds I always hit about 20% straight in. Between 2 and 3 I usually go about 30% straight in, or if it is moving strongly one way or the other i will move the pointer with my mouse to the edge of the cup against the slope indication.

3) If you see that the slope continues uphill beyond the cup give the putt a few extra %. If the slope is down from the cup I usually give it a few less % because to me its better to be a little short than a lot long.

WERDANDI PUTTER at almost any level.
3 YDS 20%
4 YDS 22%
5 YDS 25%
6 YDS 28%
7 YDS 30%
8 YDS 35%
9 YDS 39%
10 YDS 40%
11 YDS 43%
12 YDS 46%
13 YDS 48%
14 YDS 50%
15 YDS 53%
16 YDS 60%
18 YDS 65%
20 YDS 70%
25 YDS 83%
28 YDS 90%
32 YDS 100%

Submitted by: metbid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:02 am 

learn to chart your wedges a.s.a.p, i cant start to tell you how many strokes it will knock off your round.

do it at CERIDWEN and not the driving range for more accurate results, granted you may have to jump in and out, in and out, in and out until you get no wind/rain and 25 ish temp, but its well worth it.

chart each sw/aw/pw at every 5% intervals and do each with no spin backspin/topspin... you should end up with something like this.

ex. ( just a guide ) dont use this chart as we all have different stats, its a good habit to get into charting yourself

sandwedge no spin / backspin / topspin

10% 3 yards / 2 yards / 5 yards

15% 6 yards / 3 yards / 8 yards

20% 9 yards / 5 yards / 13 yards

25% 14 yards / 7 yards / 19 yards

etc etc etc, do this with all 3 wedges.

heres a few screenshots explaining how to get to and where to chip from and chip to.

firstly go to the stairs and there you will find ceridwen.

click on field practice hole.

that will take you straight to the field, from there you MUST press the alt key and the mouse at the edge of the green.

DONT chip into the slope's otherwise it will make your charts untrue

chip anywhere were there is no slopes for more accurate results, for long chips i.e pw you may have to alt key and mouse to move back a bit and aim over the pin, making sure you clear the slopes.

it really is worth taking the time charting regulary, and with no winds/rain etc etc and if you've never done it before im 100% sure if you've taken the time and charted correctly it will take lots of shots of an 18 hole round.

then its a matter of learning how much to add/minus for different lies and weather etc, that comes with practice.

the only other tips i can really give you apart from having fun is, at early levels an hurricane driver will really benefit you, due to lower levels missing 0% = disaster 90% of the time, keep impact around 5 over power and invest in some antique irons. gl

p.s my putting is a joke so accurate charts are needed for me.

Submitted by: inda

Post subject:

** My basic tip is go chart your clubs on driving range so that you know how far each club goes.( chart means hit your club in all percentages 10%,20% etc. )
** At the beggining add 1stat power 1 impact until you get 70-75 lvl where you give it all on skill.
Sand Tips

**If the lie is up-hill use top-spin so that your ball carry more
**If the lie is down-Hill use bottom-spin to slow down your ball
**Bunkers need 10%-15% power but is your choice adjust them
**Rough about 2-3%

Weather Tips

** Clouds reduce about 10% of your shot
** Rain & Clouds about 30% of your shot

--Dont forget this are just tips they always need adjustments cause you will lvl up so you become stronger!!!

Submitted by : InViVo

Post subject:

Some tips for chipping:

For chipping with SW, use the following tips as ref:

Fairway: Use distance + 20% for chip.
(example: if u have a 10y chip on fw, play 30% with SW)
Rough : Use distance + 25% for chip.
Sand: Use distance +30% for chip.

Use these tips as ref, and adjust as required. By having a reference, it will ensure you chip accurately and consistently.

Submitted by : happy01

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:03 am 

the thing that help me the most.get note book and pen write down all the tips that are in red letters,and driving range is ok,but what i did was set par x4 it is just above the start button.go to afl.u can chart your clubs here,the balls will have a lot roll when they hit green.after 1st shot hit ball back toward the tee.then chip ball to hole again ,i have found that doing this your charts are more accurate for the lie on the greens are not the same as the fairway,and driving range has no green.and by doing it this way you will get a taste of all the weather the game can give you.and u can also chart your putter this way because it will show u the distance by just hitting it at differante %.dont just put the ball in the hole chart ur putter from0% to 105%.and when you see your chart is getting off its time to rechart.and u dont have to chart all clubs just wedges and putter.

Submitted by : dadtheoldfart

Post subject:

Putting is easy
|------|------|
|------|------| field x
|------|------|
|------|------|
|------|------| ------- = m
|------|------|
|------|------| | = y
|------|------|
|------|------| | + ---- = y1

The point-slope form of equation for a line y-y1 = m·(x-x1)

I just cant make it any easier to understand. But you get the idea.

Submitted by : TonyTwoGunz

Post subject:

!!!The 'Click' Aiming System!!!

Many people use this system and works really well to compensate for the wind and also helps when putting too, whilst playing Shot-Online some people may give advice to you saying things like "2 left 45", this simply means 2 'Clicks' to the left and hit with 45% power.

Question What is a 'Click' you ask??......

Well, it's quite simply ONE press of the ARROW KEYS (<-/->) on your keyboard either left or right as they can be used to aim your characters shot at anytime whilst playing.
Wind in Shot-Online is measured by Meters Per Second (m/s) and ranges from 0m/s (indicated by 'X' in-game) and the most I have seen is 7 m/s.
For each m/s you should 'Click' once against the wind, a one to one rule, until the wind blows harder from about 4m/s and higher, then you will need to add 2 'Clicks' per m/s of wind.

Example....
When driving with cross wind (left to right OR right to left) this is the best way to compensate for the wind, if the wind is blowing 4m/s from right to left then you will need to aim 4 'Clicks' INTO the wind for your ball to land where you want, the following chart should help you to work out how much you need to aim into the wind to compensate.

(This chart is calculated for use when driving but can be adjusted to apply to most shots)

Wind............Clicks

0m/s (X)........0
1m/s..............1
2m/s..............2
3m/s..............3
4m/s..............4..........(possibly 4+1/2)
5m/s..............5+1/2...(possibly 6)
6m/s..............6+1/2...(possibly 7)
7m/s..............8..........(possibly 9 or even 10)

The amount of 'Clicks' vary depending on how far you want the ball to go, the amount of clicks gets less the shorter your shot is, I have listed the 'Possible' amounts for the longer shots as the ball is in the air longer so the wind has more time to blow it further.

When I say 5+1/2, I mean 5 'Clicks' and then use the mouse to move your aim half of the distance of a click.
As the wind gets stronger you will need to aim further into it to allow the wind to carry the ball to where you want as I have shown in the chart.
As your character gets stronger and you progress this tip will come naturally to you and you will know exactly how many 'Clicks' you need to allow for the wind as it stays pretty consistant through-out all levels.

When putting the wind doesn't affect your ball but the 'Click' system is a great way to help get your ball in the hole whilst putting too.

Example.....

(% of power given on the following chart is for an average running speed on a flat green)

Distance..........Clicks..........Power

0-1yds................0...............20%
1-2yds................1...............25%
2-3yds................1...............30%
3-4yds................2...............30-35%
4-5yds................2-3............35-40%
5-6yds................3-4............35-40%
6-7yds................4-5............40%
7-8yds................5-6............40-45%
8-9yds................6-7............45%
9-10yds..............7-8............45-50%

These are only a guide and to be used as a base to go by because as you all know the greens have different running speeds and every putt is different from the last but when making a putt around 3yds 'Click' once into the direction of the of the slope (if arrows are running right/left you aim right) and use about 33% and you will sink the ball everytime.
Exclamation If you have a hole thats higher than your character then you will have to add a little more power to get the ball up the hill and less power for a downhill shot.

Once you get used to this 'Click' system your game will become much easier and more natural to you.

Good Luck and See you on the field!!! Cool

Submitted by : phil336

EDIT: phil336 new chart

NEW and Much More Precise Putting Chart (below) as it will help Beginners a LOT more than the existing chart does at the moment !!

=================================================================

NEW Putting Chart.....

Yds...........Clicks........Power %

(Works for most putters but not for putters with the same power as the Gribador, if you use the Gribador or one with similar power then you need to add 2% to each of the Power % ok)

=================================================================

Last edited by ShotOnlineGM_Wotan on Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:11 am 

My advice for beginners.

#1: Don't bother charting til you're level 21. You will go from Level 1 to 21 so quickly that the charts will change way too fast. It might behoove you to get a general feel for your Putter, however, as it will not change (unless you get rid of the Gridabor putter) Some rough chip estimates with your SW would also be helpful. Any other charting is pointless until you're level 21 and upgrade your clubs.

#2: At level 21, pick up some decent clubs. antique woods/irons, werdandi wedges (and a putter unless you're happy with the beginner putter by this time) For a driver, you can pick up a United Cup when they sell them in the Mall, or just pick up something like an Emerald. Don't get a tourmaline -- you'll regret it.

#3: As a noob, by level 21, you want your impact about 7 to 10 higher than your power. Yeah, there's all kinds of knock-down drag-out fights about how you should place your stats by everyone. This is what has worked best for me. Put nothing into stamina. Get your skill up to 15-20 once your power/impact is 25/35 or so. When I give these numbers, I'm including the stats your clubs give you as well. You want to try to get your skill up to about 30 to 32 (with any stat clothes you may buy) by the time you pass the semi-pro test. Everything else should go in power and impact.

#4: PRACTICE PUTTING. Go to the practice hole and practice green both.. and putt putt putt, and then putt some more. Until you can read the green lines and how they will affect the ball one way or the other. Add 0.5y distance to each 0.1m uphill to the cup and subtract 0.75y for each 0.1m downhill as a general rule.

#5: Chart that werdandi sand wedge! Chipping and putting are by far the most important parts of this game. If you can't do either, you simply will never get birdies.

Don't worry about clamoring for clubs like nados, tempests, or hurricanes until you're rather seasoned and can generally play your EXP courses quite well. The repair costs are a real burden if you cannot make the shots to get the ng to cover repairs. You can be perfectly fine with the antiques until you're 60-65, and the werdandi wedges will last you til you even to 100.

Submitted by : Elaneous

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next