Community - Forum
It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Weather / Different lies
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:18 pm 

Here is where we will index tips on Weather / Different lies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:29 am 

Weather / Different lies

Before hitting any shot after you have left the tee box it is very useful to check your lie / stance. By holding the right mouse buttong you can rotate your view of your charatcer and be able to tell if they are uphill, downhill, or on a side slope. If your charatcer is uphill then you should try to hit a higher club to account for the uphill lie, for downhill shots you would be better off hitting a lower club, and for a side hill/slope you will want to account for the ball going off to the side.

RECAP... UPHILL SHOTS NEED TO PLAY CLUB LONGER
DOWNHILL SHOTS PLAY LESS BECAUSE BALL WILL CARRY MORE
SLOPE/SIDE HILL ACCOUTN FOR BALL GOING RIGHT OR LEFT WHEN AIMING

Submitted by: SCORP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:29 am 

1) do 1 click for every 1 wind and one extra or so if its 4+ wind because it will spin

2) try to use the same putter the whole game because every putter is differant and its hard to change

3) if you have a severe uphill chip use 9iron

Submitted by: GolfProUSA

Well my tip is about wind. As all us pros know it lies at times.

Before each shot this is what i do.

At the top left of your screen where it says Par 3 etc and yardage.

Take your cursor and put in on the middle number of the yardage. eg Par 3 145,cursor would be put on the 4

Now right click and hold..drag to the top left corner while watching the wind Indicator.

If the winds moves thats the true wind.

Hope this helps

Submitted by: TOOTALLTIM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:30 am 

if you have an severe uphill lie use 9iron

make sure to look at your lie angle if its uphill it wont go as far and will go higher downhill will go farther and lower

also it will spin back alot more if your lie is uphill and will roll forward if lie is downward

Submitted by : Featherie

Post subject:

Try use back spin (right click on lower center of ball for shot) when you putt on green with non-flat surfaces or downhill.
If the hole is higher than 0.5y, whatever the normal putting percentage multiply 1.5. It works for me.

Submitted by : eunicejames1

Post subject:

Wind. One of the most variable factors in the game. As far as measuring wind, and how much to go left or right depending on it is mainly judged on which club you are using. Wind effects higher clubs less than it does lower ones. For example, if there is a 3.0m/s wind heading west, using a driver, you'd go about 3 clicks to the right, but using a wedge, you want to go about 6 or 7 clicks.

Weather is one of the most important things when playing. Always check your wind and temperature before you start deciding what to hit. Lower temperature will decrease your ball's distance. "Normal" temperature is around 26 degrees, when it starts hitting 21-23, is when your distance will be lowered. As far as clouds and rain goes:

Clouds = 1.3m/s wind

Rain = 3.3m/s wind

These are rough estimates. So, if you've got 28 degree weather with clouds and a 1.3m/s tailwind, then feel free to hit it normally, since the 1.3 will cancel out the clouds.

Another note on rain and clouds, is when you use spin...the ball will curve a lot more in the clouds, and even way more in the rain. So be sure to move a bit extra if you do decide you need to use spin.

Hope that helps.

Submitted by : Chambahs187

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:31 am 

wind aiming, this is what i use works ok for me..
driver = 1 tap per 1.2m cross wind
3w 3i = 1 tap per 1m cross wind
5w 4i 5i = 1 tap per 0.9 cross wind
6i = 1 tap per 0.8 cross wind
7i 8i 9i = 1 tap per 0.7 cross wind
wedges = 1 tap per 0.6 cross wind

Submitted by : Da_Perv

Post subject:

1. iF U HAVE WiND, SLiGHTLY MOVE YOUR CAMERA ANGLE LEFT AND RiGHT TiLL THE ARROW CHANGES DiRECTION, THiS WiLL GiVE U A MORE ACCURATE WiND READ

2. U CAN HiT THE BALL AT 110% BUT i WOULDN'T RECOMMEND GOiNG OVER 105%, i’D RECOMMEND HiTTiNG 100% OR UNDER, UNLESS U NEED TO HiT THE BALL HARDER, iF U HiT THE BALL STRAiGHT AT 105+ THE BALL WILL TEND TO GO LEFT OR RIGHT

3. iT'S ALWAYS SAFER TO PUTT THE BALL TO THE PACE OF THE GREEN, DEPENDiNG HOW WELL U KNOW THAT GREEN

4. SOME BREAKS MAY LOOK THE SAME ON A DIFFERENT HOLE, THO iT MAY BREAK A LiL DiFFERENT FROM EACH OTHER, 8/10 iT USUALLY BREAKS THE SAME

5. SOME ROUGHS MAY PLAY TOUGHER THAN OTHERS, iT’S JUST A MATTER OF KNOWiNG THAT ROUGH, JUST LiKE SOME BUNKERS MAY PLAY TOUGHER THAN OTHER BUNKERS, SOME HARD ROUGHS PLAY LiKE BUNKERS ETC.. 9/10 U NEED TO HAVE BEEN THERE B4 TO REALLY KNOW

6. U SHOULD HAVE iMPACT OVER POWER, THiS WiLL VARY DEPENDiNG ON WHAT CLUBS U USE AND WHAT STATS THEY HAVE, iT’S REALLY WHAT WORKS BEST FOR U

7. iF YOUR NOT SURE WHERE TO PUT YOUR NEXT STATS, TRY A ZOD OR ZODS ON TO HELP U MAKE YOUR MiND UP

8. PERSONALLY i PREFER TO AVOiD SPiN ON MY SHOTS, UNLESS NECESSARY , THE REASON FOR THiS iS, SAY U NEED TOPSPiN ON YOUR 9i, U MiGHT ACCiDENTALLY PUT SiDE SPiN ON iT, BY THE TiME U HAVE CORRECTED YOUR SPiN U WiLL HAVE LOST MANY SECONDS ON THE CLOCK, SO i’D RECOMMEND DROPPiNG TO AN 8i OR 7i DEPENDiNG ON THE SiTUATiON, AND FiND THE %, iT REALLY DEPENDS ON THE SiTUATiON U R iN

9. THE CLOSER U R TO APPROACH TO THE GREEN, THE LESSER THE WEATHER WiLL AFFECT YOUR SHOT, AND VICE VERSA

10. ALWAYS CHECK THE LYE OF THE BALL, THAT’S WHAT MATTERS, NOT HOW YOUR STANCE iS, A GOOD WAY TO TELL EXACTALLY iS TO ROTATE THE CAMERA ANGLE TO THE FRONT OF YOUR PLAYERS STANCE, THEN DOUBLE CHECK ON THE REAR SiDE OF YOUR PLAYERS STANCE, REMEMBER iT’S THE LYE OF THE BALL THAT iS iMPORTANT

Submitted by : mickman

Post subject:

A good place to start when working on your sand play is this- with 1/2 backspin on your SW, use 40% power for 10 yds. and 65% power for 20 yds.
Use this as a starting point for all other greenside bunker shots. The ball won't roll forever, but also won't back up on you.
Hope this comes in handy...

The Captain

Submitted by : menantic

Post subject:

My tip to noobies is this:
If the temp is:
21-23 your ball will land at the front of your target
24-26 your ball will land in the center of your target
27-30 your ball wil lland at the back of the target.

front = bottom of target or closest to tee box
back = top of target or farthest from tee box

Submitted by : skeetermeister

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:32 am 

okay beginners,

when approaching a green its sometimes hard to figure out exactly how much to accomodate for wind, rain, and your feet position in regards to the ball when in your stance.

heres a small tip to help you out.

0.7m/s (of wind) equals 1 tick of your arrow key either left or right depending on the direction the wind is blowing.

for example if you had 1.4m/s westerly wind, you would simply press your right arrow key twice to accomodate!

ready for another tip?

if you were to compare the rain in regards to slowing your ball down in mid flight to the wind blowing it around, i figured out that the rain equals about 2.4m/s of wind against.

you can do the same calculation with a cloudy day no rain, that equals about 1.6m/s of wind against.

and lastly...

ALWAYS remember that when the rain is poundin or the clouds are out, your ball will usually spin harder than if it was sunny .. so make sure you try to spare your spin as much as possible in those conditions.

p.s.

if you really want to get technical, westerly wind is an advancing wind and easterly is a regressing wind which means any wind heading west will generally carry your ball slightly further where as anything going east will generally hold your ball slightly back in flight..

hope that helps!

Rigid

Submitted by : PlasticWrap

Post subject:

While driving and putting is an important part of the game, so is working with wedges. The nearer you can the ball to the hole, the easier it is to make a bird or eagle. make this easy for yourself, chart your SW by going onto the practice hole, get near the green, then note the distances you hit with your SW to the green at 20,30,40,50 to 100% power. Do this off the FW and rough and watch your short game leap in ability.

My "tip" however. It is extremely hard to chart a SW out of sand, especially short dinky shots. If you have a SW chart as above, select your AW when in a green side bunker, consult your SW chart for shots off the FW and with Backspin use the SW chart with your AW. It is surprising how close to the hole you will get.

Submitted by : Ferryman

Post subject:

My Tip is when you are make your approach shot, always check the weather, wind, and temperature to see how it will effect your shots. Then look at your feet and the ball, to see if they are level or not level and how much you would need to adjust your shot, if the ball is higher then your feet the ball will go to the left more, and if the ball is lower then your feet the ball will go to the right. Then look at your landing area for the ball... Is it flat? slanted? and adjust properly for the shot.

Submitted by: HarryHarrison

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:33 am 

Fist thing i would like to talk about is some ways you can get your self out of sand and rough. Fist thing i would like to start off with is when you are in the sand make sure u add 15% to your chips and put a touch of back spin on. Long shots in the sand are a bit diferent. With long shots in the sand you want to make sure that you go a extra 2 clubs and try not to put side spin on the shot because it will usualy end up off target.When you are in the rough you want to make sure that u know the slope of the green so u can aim to the corect spot ,you should of made a chiping chart for your fairway shots so i would add 5% to your chips and put about 2 dots of backspin. make sure that you follow these steps with your shots and you will be on your way to success. Wink

Submitted by: kawde

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:33 am 

Some random bones of wisdom from me:

Mitigating weather and temperature

We all wish we could play every hole and course in sunny warm weather, unfortunately, this is not always the case and a raging storm could greet you on the next hole with no warning.

The temperature varies from 21ºC (coldest) up to 30ºC (warmest)
Colder temperatures cause the ball to fly slightly shorter, conversely, warmers temperatures add a few yards extra.

The image below shows the point of impact of your ball depending on temperature if you hit 100% from a flat lie with short grass (fairway/tee)

Rain and Clouds

Rain and clouds also mess with your shots. Cloudy weather reduces shot distance by 5.5-6% and rain by around 11% as the moisture makes the ball heavy. For long iron shots in wet conditions make sure you aim well past the hole.

Wind

Some courses have predetermined weather conditions, Sosori is a relatively quiet course with slight breezes and mostly dry holes, other courses like Cadeiger are prone to more severe weather patterns.

I use this system for crosswinds:

Driver: 1 click per 1.2 wind
3wood: 1 click per 1.0 wind
5wood: 1 click per 0.9 wind
3 and 4 iron: 1 click per 1.0 wind
5 and 6 iron: 1 click per 0.9 wind
7 and 8 iron: 1 click per 0.8 wind
9 iron and Pw: 1 click per 0.7 wind
Aw and Sw: 1 click per 0.6 wind

My in game name is Setekh and will help those in need if required.

Submitted by: Setekh

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next