Community - Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Club Clone Guide (e.g., "What is Blast?")
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:23 pm 

Notes:
- when I say "as long as hybrid" or "shorter than hybrid", know that CTL and Hybrids are identical distances
- Zeus clubs and Hestia clubs were added recently and they are Titan clones, but with a slightly faster bar and +1 extra skill pre-fitted.

Table of club clones:

Attachments:
ClubClonesTable.png
ClubClonesTable.png [ 67.48 KiB | Viewed 5991 times ]

Post subject: Re: Club Clone Guide (e.g., "What is Blast?")
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:12 pm 

A_In_NS wrote:
Table of club clones:

From what my experience the Typhoon in distance order; Blue, Yellow, Red; and loft is the opposite order. I haven't used many of the irons listed, but blast are the best from what I hear, and are slightly longer than hybrids, and ctls are the most accurate out of those three. Wedges clean in distance order(only the first 50% on the meter after all are close) blast, skuld, mighty, titan. This is just my opinion and clubs are clean no fittings and tested at range in 25 c no wind.
Thank you A_In_NS for the information :ugeek:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:45 pm 

Rigorous testing is not easy. The entire idea of posting test results for the last few years was to get away from subjective commentary on club characteristics. I would appreciate it if people would refrain from commenting based on subjective experience without data, or based on what they hear. :) Ty.

I have tested it many ways -- the Blast are Hybrids. There is no difference.

CTL and Hybrid irons are nearly identical in distance and, if anything, the Hybrids are slightly more accurate when missing 0.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:51 am 

Mighty wedges are the same as Werdandi wedges, only the Mighty ones have a much larger yellow zone around 0 (like Typhoon woods and Hurricane clubs), that's why I have them :), almost can't shank.

Didn't try the Titan wedges, no use since they are the same as Mighty.

Dunno if they are 2 yards further than Werdandis, didn't rechart them after switching, short distance they are the same.

Btw, are there any irons with a large yellow zone around 0 and a slow gauge? Titan maybe? Else they need to release them, lol.

cyaburg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:29 am 

"Mighty wedges are the same as Werdandi wedges"

This is not correct. Mighty are shorter in distance than any of the other set wedges, and shorter than Werdandi.

I tested the AW and SW for Titan, Skuld and Mighty against my Werdandis when deciding how to replace my Werdandis with "set" wedges.

Skuld are clones of Werdandi, the only difference being that they offer set benefits. They do not have the wide tolerance of the later clubs.

Titan are also clones of Werdandi, but offer a wider yellow tolerance band for off-zero shots.

Mighty also have the wider tolerance band, but hit considerably shorter than any of Werdandi, Titan or Skuld. About 20-25% shorter, if memory serves. If you like your wedges short, they are the best to go for in my opinion (and the ones I decided to use).

I don't think I had access to a Skuld PW (as I write I haven't got access to the spreadsheet I used) but from a limited amount of testing I remember that the distances for the PWs for all of the above four types of clubs were about the same. They were therefore too short for my taste to bridge the gap between AW and 9i, so I now use the slightly longer Blast PW, in combination with Blast ironset and Mighty short wedges, just as I previously used the same type of PW as my main clubs (Hybrid or CTL) in combination with Werdandi wedges.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:04 pm 

I stand by my test results.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:58 am 

Alan nothing I said contradicts any of your results, which were the result of rigorous testing on the PWs and above.

I only commented on the PWs to the extent of saying that the Titan, Skuld and Mighty PW's were "about the same" as the Werdandis, and that therefore I went with the longer Blast (of the "set" clubs), the longer Hybrid not giving "set" benefits. I think that conclusion ties in with your assessment.

The testing I did (buying all the clubs in order to do it) was purely on the shorter wedges, the AW and SW. You hadn't tested those, so I decided to do it myself. I can't drive or putt, so being able to chip well is very important to me. And for those short wedges, I found that the Skuld and Titans were very similar to the Werdandis - but that the Mighty ones were (surprisingly) significantly shorter, by some 20% or so, enough to make a real difference to the short game.

I spent about 3bn NG buying the clubs, and many hours on driving range and spreadsheet checking that out at a variety of power shots and spins. I no longer have the spreadsheet I used, and of course my shot percentages wouldn't have been as accurate as yours, but hopefully you won't dismiss this "subjective commentary" as to be so wildly inaccurate that it only contains reckless untruths. You never know, there might be something in it. I'll continue to rely (as I always have done) on your results for the higher clubs, for which research please accept my many thanks.

In closing, I humbly suggest that it would be worth borrowing a Mighty SW and seeing how it compares to whichever club you are presently using. I'm sure lots of others who like me rely on their short game to get them out of trouble would find an authoritative analysis from you most invaluable.

Best regards and good luck with any further testing you do.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:47 am 

Titans are definitely NOT clones of werdandis/skuld. If you actually test it in game on par 3s, the backspin of the titans are absurd. So while they may produce similar distances on the driving range, the driving range doesn't show their response on the green. This is a serious difference and will be catastrophic if one chose the titans because they believed they are the same as the werdandis/skuld.

Tee-Time
---------------------------------------------
2005: Birdies Inc.
2007: -Oz-
2012: -FyF-
2014-Present: Tee-Time

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:46 pm 

The loft angle for the Hestia 3w R is 14 degrees and the Hestia 5w R is 16.5 degrees .... not a clone of the typhoons these lower angles than even the blues. I do not have any Titan or Zeus's to check those angles.