Community - Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Six irons compared Nado/Temp/59/55/51/Antiques
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:46 pm 

I have completed a small, but rigorous, test of 6 sets of irons. Before getting to the finer print, here are the main results:

As you can see, give or take a yard, the top 3 are equal. There was anywhere from .5 yards to 1.5 yards difference on individual shots, but there was no consistent difference. As a result, for any practical purpose, they are equal.

Some Observations
  • There is only a very small difference between the bottom 3 sets.
  • From the top group, to the bottom set, there is only an average distance of 11 yards or so. That is not as much as I would have thought.

Setup and Methodology
For every single hit, the stats were identical when holding the iron:
46 Power
56 Impact
21 Stamina
65 Skill

To be clear, we loaded the irons, used a Pedora, and then reset the stats to the exact same level, thereby removing any difference due to default fittings.

Obviously, these are not all the stats available to me, but I did not want to use a level 102's stat count, as I figured it would be less representative of the community. As for the stamina, we had to stick with 21, as that was required by the level 59's

To get the distances, we recorded the average of two perfect hits. A perfect hit is defined as hitting the 100% mark and getting the "Nice Shot" message. the 100% mark was verified with a screen magnifier.

The full 3 spin was set using Skittles-<RightArrow> to set maximum spin.

The following factors would be of interest to folks looking for irons, but were not considered in this test:
  • Forgiveness
  • Bar speed
  • Height and other flight characteristics
  • Tendency to shank if hit at/past 105%
  • Comparative reaction to off-0% hits

Applying The So-Called "Wasted" Stamina Stats
If you do not use the level 59's, you have a number of stats available that do not have to be assigned to stamina. I did an extra test, assuming we would get 15 stats freed up. I applied those 15 stats on top of the testing base, by adding +5 Power and +10 Skill. Here are the results:

As you can see, we are dealing with a significant difference.

Club Info

Miscellaneous Notes
  • Note that old Tornadoes are cheaper to repair than the 2009's uses in the test.
  • If I had to pick winner for mid-level player on a budget, I would pick the 51's. They are cheap to buy, have low repair cost, and come fitted +6 power.

Pictures of the irons tested:

Thank you to andremg who contributed 3 Pedoras and Nijntje-Pluis who contributed 2 Pedoras.

Last edited by A_In_NS on Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:40 am, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Six irons compared Nado/Temp/59/55/51/Antiques
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:27 pm 

Thanks for the useful infor mate.. great job!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:36 am 

Great post really informative and i wish i had it to use back when i was in the 60's enjoy your work well done

HumbertGumbert vallar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:50 am 

Nice work ainns - great to see people doing things for their students and rest of the players.
(ps Either you missed the letter f, or the forum thinks the word "Shift" is naughty ;) )

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:54 am 

lol with the Doh-<RightArrow>. :) Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

Say, if anyone has NR clubs in the locker, Zyg, that are just collecting dust, I would gladly buy them from you. Even 1 durability would be OK, as they are just for testing, such as posted here. Please contact A_In_NS on Vallar. Looking for old nados NR in particular at the moment. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:38 am 

Really cool job dude, much apriciated ur work and the time u spend for doing this. THANKS!!

But as a lvl 59 clubs lover, I got one liiiiiiittle thing to say.....actually its only two words: "repair cost" ;)

thx alot for ur work dude!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:20 am 

ainns wrote:
To be clear, we loaded the irons, used a Pedora, and then reset the stats to the exact same level, thereby removing any difference due to default fittings.

Good job, so I take it this means you played 46p and 56i with clubs in hand, negating the additional stats of the NPC irons? Interesting. Essentially the difference between using 59s and Tempest/Tornado/Hurricane Irons aren't as big as they appeared, since they are +8 already. Good to know. :mrgreen:

BTW, for those still unable to play high skill, I always found level 57 Irons and woods to go a few yards farther than 51s, if you are willing to go all the way to 65 power.

~ Comprehensive Club Comparison Guide
~ Comprehensive List of Stat Clothes
~ In Depth Stat Guide
~ My Shot Online Goals

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:11 am 

ainns wrote:

surely this means that you negated the +6 power of the 59s. A better way would have to either left your stats the same without irons in hand, or to have had the stam stats needed for the 59s re-assigned to skill/power for the others. This is how people play them. I have high stam so i can play the 59s but if i had temps then i would use the stam stats on skill, but i have 6 extra power on my clubs so i can use the 6 stats on my skill. if you know what i mean.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:47 am 

Great Post!!!!! I can only assume that Hurricane Irons would fit into your top three somewhere's colse.

Like a putting chart, information like this will live on.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:02 am 

HOUSEMUSIC wrote:
Really cool job dude, much apriciated ur work and the time u spend for doing this. THANKS!!

But as a lvl 59 clubs lover, I got one liiiiiiittle thing to say.....actually its only two words: "repair cost" ;)

thx alot for ur work dude!!!

No question about that HOUSE! As you are implying, distance is only one factor in deciding on what equipment to have. Hell, somebody in the square last night was looking for the right colour to match their clothes, so there :).

Note: I forgot to add the club info chart, with repair cost, fittings, etc. I edited the top post to include it:

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:53 am 

ainns wrote:
Hell, somebody in the square last night was looking for the right colour to match their clothes, so there :).

Oh well...clothes makes people^^(especially in Shotonline!)
But I really tried to swap my red yoga glove vs purple yoga glove one day :roll: But sold them both already, to buy Nado Bomber very cheap...+1power/+1stamina point changes nothing, when u need the money for other things.

cya in AH lol

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:30 pm 

This is really awesome. It's great that you took your own time and then shared this with the rest of the forum.

Just wondering if you tried the New Tempest out at all. Not to bad mouth your chart, cuz its great, just wondering if they were tested.

~R.I.P Ken aka pappabear : "Beer-it does a body good"

100 posts ~ 2/23/09
200 posts ~ 6/7/09

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:08 pm 

No Snebbir, but that is the next test I want to do -- compare as many "old" clubs as possible with their 2009 counterparts.

I am accepting donations, or at least cheap deals, on all types of lower durability Zyg NR clubs. Even 1 durability is OK. Please add me in game on Vallar.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:48 am 

Ainns,

This is epic stuff indeed. The other important category when testing irons should include accuracy IMO as well.

As one who is in the 70s I still use the lvl 51s because not only are they cheap, they are very accurate. I switched over to lvl 59s when I was lvl 69 and while they were longer, they were far less accurate so I switched back.

I've heard that using the 59 irons are only good when using a high skill setup, but I'm still using a pwr/imp setup so maybe thats why the 59s were far less accurate.

I will be curious to once again re-visit the lvl 59s once I go to a skill basis and see if it makes any difference in accuracy. Until then I will gladly give up the 3-6 yards per club to gain the accuracy.....cause thats what birds are all about, regulary sticking approach shots within 5 yards.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:16 pm 

I play the 59's and find them very accurate, but then again I have 38 pow 58 imp 21 stam and 105 skill with irons in hand.

I like the analysis of the clubs, however the only part I disagree with is the "wasted" stats. I maintain 21 stamina solely from base stamina, 1 taurus and 1 zod +2. Thus it would be possible (if i had the money to play it all the time) to use 2 +4 zods and gain the stamina off of those.

Even with the release of the "vivid" clothing its still possible to match stamina and stats using the spring/fall clothing tickets.

Then again this is coming from a Wotan, so there may be variations between character types, and the question really become do you want a cheaper repair cost, slower bar, or more forgiveness.