Community - Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Test results: Does Impact add distance?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:16 am 

A surprise to me personally, but a pleasant one. Is better to learn something new than to live in ignorance. :)

Adding to Impact does add a tiny bit to distance. However, the difference in distance is so small, that you would never notice within 10 stat points. I also believe it may add a teeny bit to height.

On to the results:

As you can see, I hit the Hurri 6i with two different impact settings: 45 and 75.

Conclusion from this test under these conditions:
An impact stat was adding about .23 yards per stat added over 45.

This is certainly no way to be adding distance, as you get far more bang for the stat-buck assigning them to Power or Skill, but it is interesting to know that they do add what appears to be a tiny, and fixed amount to distance.

I did one last test at impact of 95 to see if the results would be smooth: if we would get the .23 yards/stat added. Here we go:

We did get the results one would predict at this ridiculously high impact value.

---------------------------------------

Jury-rigged Height Test
It would appear that higher impact may also add a tiny bit of height. This is hard to test in a rigorous fashion, but here is what I did...

For an 8i, I found out how many clicks left it took to clear the left side fence in the driving range. At our initial impact of 45, it takes 14 clicks left to hit the very top of the fence. 15 clicks left clears the fence. At 14 clicks left, one had to hit the 8i at 103% to clear the fence. At 103%, we are getting bit more height and distance.

Now, when we switched to 75 impact, it took only a 100% 8i to clear the fence at the same 14 clicks left. At 75 impact, the distance of the 100% 8i is equal to the distance of the 45 impact 8i at 103%.

Normally of course, the longer the shot, the lower the ball flight. I would suggest that having high impact is about the same as having lower impact and hitting the clubs at a higher %age.

Notes:
  • Constant stats were: Power 40, Stamina 8, Skill 70
  • Hurricane (old) 6i, clean, was used
  • Average of 5 near-perfect or perfect hits in 25 degrees
  • Ball used was Helios +1 power 2 piece
  • I am an impact junkie, and this test reinforced why. For off-0% hits, the difference in lost yards of low impact versus high seemed very noticeable.
  • 3 F/Pedoras and one Haoma I were required. (I had to go revert back to the lower impact to verify something.) Fwiw, other than a initial donation last week of 5 F/Pedora from NRz guildees, I have received no F/Pedora donations.
  • Full 3 was set using Shift-<RightArrow>

To show a little better what I did in the range to get some idea about height, here is an image showing my 8i shot that hits the top of the fence at 14 clicks at impact 45:

Post subject: Re: Test results: Does Impact add distance?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:36 am 

Great stuff....keep it coming!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:52 am 

good test.

What I used to do to measure height was to adjust the wind (pretty sure this changes the circle from 20 to 50 to 100 randomly) and took a screenie of the 100ng circle in the back against the fence with a 3w (pretty sure the 100ng marker is still visible on the fence, if not the driver should be)

Unfortunately due to the fact that I hadn't played in awhile I deleted most of my research findings.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:54 am 

Thanks dude.
When I'm back in the NG's I most Certainly will be sending a few pedora's your way!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:31 pm 

Thanks for the information.........

RustyIrons
marmar