Community - Forum
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Small test of 59's versus 51's
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:34 am 

There has been some discussion over the last week or so about level 59 irons (Aeolos IV) versus level 51 irons (Aeolos I). As part of a larger test, these were two or the six irons we tested.

Anyway, I ran a quickie test to illustrate more clearly what some of us have been saying. This test is more "subjective" than others, since assumptions have to be made, but I think it is helpful nonetheless.

Test Setup
We conducted the test using two toon setups. For giggles, we'll call them Powell and Stamkowski. Here are their profiles:
Code:
Powell (Belz)                             Stamkowski (Belz)
* on a budget, so uses NPC irons          * ditto
* level is low to mid-70's                * ditto
* has 5 pieces of inexpensive clothing    * more stamina clothes
  * +1 power, +1 stamina                    * +1 power, +1 stamina
  * +1 power                                * +1 power
  * +1 power                                * +1 power, +1 stamina
  * +1 power, +1 impact                     * +1 power, +1 stamina
  * +1 power, +1 impact                     * +1 power, +1 stamina
* uses an NPC +1 power ball                 * uses an NPC +1 stamina ball

Here are the results:

Observations and Conclusions
  • Given that they are (a) very close to the same price and repair cost, (b) that you can adopt the 51's earlier and (c) that the 51's will be longer for side-spin shots, I would recommend the level 51's as a better choice.
  • This is particularly true if you can max-out your clothing with "useful" stats (Power/Impact/Skill).
  • Also, if you are not a Belz or Wotan, then the case is even stronger for 51's, as your base stamina is lower than in this test.

Notes
  • Although this is a distance test, it was felt 4i would be more representative of a distance shot for a lvl 70-something, such as the longer Cads iron shots.
  • Irons used had the default fittings as purchased from Salvador.
  • Bar speed and 0% area (red, orange, yellow, white) are identical for the two clubs.
  • Only the stats were used, not the actual clothing, balls, or even Belzzz'zzz. Test were used on a Zyg using a +1 power Helios ball
  • As always, an average of 2 perfect hits was used, at 25 degrees.
  • 4 F/Pedoras were used on this test. (3 were required and I made a mistake and needed one more.)
  • A big thank you to the following peeps who donated F/Pedoras or made other contributions for further tests:

neeway2000
      donkeydoo_01
      C_Bird
      Shank2Much
      JoeBlo2
      Prich35

Post subject: Re: Small test of 59's versus 51's
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:13 pm 

Interesting results, however largely expected as the the irons would benefit from the increased skill from not using stam.

I'm assuming that you put in actual stat points into stam, and from a purely academic standpoint it looks like the 51s are a better choice. I'll still hold by the 59's as your money maker from a newbies perspective, the taurus zods are like 10-30k for a 500 shotter, which is like 1 birdie no cyma on cad. Thus allowing people not to put points into stam but taking up slots with a stamina zod. Once the ng has been accumulated you remove the stam zods (and clothes if you want) and put in some other sort of zods (i dunno let's say +2s) and the web iron of your choice (say the hurricanes, or tempest).

albus: 2 stam
belz : 6 stam
erda: 4 stam
shao: 4 stam
wotan: 9 stam
zyg : 2 stam
cam: 4 stam

low 2, high 9

clothing (7 stam)
hat - 1 stam 1 pow - yoga
shirt - 3 stam - whatever the 2005 is for the character
pants - 1 stam 1 pow - yoga
glove - 1 stam 1 pow - yoga
shoes - 1 stam 1 pow - yoga

low 9, high 16 stam

21 - 9 = 12 more stam to fit the requirement
12/6 = 2 taurus zods

21 - 16 = 5 more stam to fit the requirement
5/6 = 1 taurus zod

so at the most a character would need is 2 taurus zods, leaving 1 slot free for the cyma or mag or goet. For the wotans you can get away with just 1 taurus and can wear a mag and cyma.

*wotan pitch: which is why wotan is the best character for a newbie with no access to a credit card to choose >:D lol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:26 pm 

For someone to get full yoga clothes it would take quite a bit of ng, so in the end as much ng as it would take to get all that yoga stuff they could easily afford several sets of nr web clubs.... Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:36 pm 

Point taken, but those nr clubs are not an investment as they can not be resold after they run out of durability, so the money you spend there is a sunk cost. While with clothing you can often return 70-100% of your initial investment.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:45 am 

Also a good point. I hadn't thought about them selling the clothes because they would need them to use the 59's, though they would eventually if they decided to switch up to web clubs maybe.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:38 am 

gwmalik wrote:
*wotan pitch: which is why wotan is the best character for a newbie with no access to a credit card to choose >:D lol

absolute nonsense!

every standard char got 20 starting stats
So it doesn't matter which Char you use to play 59er Irons.
If you skill your Zyg to have 9 stamina, you have to skill those 7 stats to skill with your Wotan Char

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:20 am 

I understand from the test that having 9 skill points being put into stamina to use the lvl 59 clubs - AT HIGH SKILL BUILD LEVELS - would account for the lvl 51 irons traveling further than the level 59s. Because distances with those skill numbers change are affectedly greatly when adding a few skill points. That makes sense.

But when a player FIRST hits level 59 - he/she has to make a choice (if they are an economy player) - do I go with the lvl 51 irons or the lvl 59s? At a level 59, a player would have 40 less stat points to work with than the one in your test. So my question remains - if a new lvl 59 has 59 skill points with the lvl 51 irons or they use 50 skill points with the lvl 59 irons - do you get the same results and conclusions?

Are the 9 skill points with skill stats in the 50s going to make the same difference in your tests? Or is skill at a lower level less likely to affect total distance and thereby making the lvl 59 clubs more attractive?

I think it's more likely that a person first hitting lvl 59 would be wanting a comparision between the irons, rather than a person at level 79. Just my two cents.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:44 am 

monkeysee wrote:
I understand from the test that having 9 skill points being put into stamina to use the lvl 59 clubs - AT HIGH SKILL BUILD LEVELS - would account for the lvl 51 irons traveling further than the level 59s. Because distances with those skill numbers change are affectedly greatly when adding a few skill points. That makes sense.

But when a player FIRST hits level 59 - he/she has to make a choice (if they are an economy player) - do I go with the lvl 51 irons or the lvl 59s? At a level 59, a player would have 40 less stat points to work with than the one in your test. So my question remains - if a new lvl 59 has 59 skill points with the lvl 51 irons or they use 50 skill points with the lvl 59 irons - do you get the same results and conclusions?

Are the 9 skill points with skill stats in the 50s going to make the same difference in your tests? Or is skill at a lower level less likely to affect total distance and thereby making the lvl 59 clubs more attractive?

I think it's more likely that a person first hitting lvl 59 would be wanting a comparision between the irons, rather than a person at level 79. Just my two cents.

I've gamed them in the past on my 2nd character. Honestly, until you switch to high skill, there is almost no difference in distance between using 51s and 59s. The extra stamina is nice for courses like Rufus, but with the stat setup for for 51s, you will hit your driver a little further. It's give and take, both work very well until high skill.

~ Comprehensive Club Comparison Guide
~ Comprehensive List of Stat Clothes
~ In Depth Stat Guide
~ My Shot Online Goals

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:14 am 

I played the 59 irons with a wotan toon on a high pwr+imp setting.
Due to the clothes I used and zods, I only had to put 1 or 2 on stam.

I did not like the 51 at all. But I found the 59´s just very, very nice.
Great accuracy, very good lenght and veeery smooth.

I did not make any 51 vs. 59 test, because I could not stand the 51´s.
All I can say is: They were great irons for me.

Cheers Matthias

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:10 pm 

I've tried both and will take my lvl 51s any day of the month. The lvl 59s were far less accurate and the 51s behave a little more normally when landing.