Community - Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Test results: Accuracy of Hurri/Tempest/Nado
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:15 pm 

The object of this test is to get some objective idea of the accuracy of the three leading irons: Hurricane, Tempest, and Tornado. The goals of this test are:
  1. to simulate real life shots, most of which are close to 0%, not far away from 0%
  2. to measure distance lost
  3. to measure distance wide of the target

Distance Lost Results
Here are the results for the test of distance lost. I acknowledge that it would have been better perhaps to have used a long iron, but we explain that below in our notes. This test shows us that on average, only about 4 yards are lost within 4 pixels of 0%:

Notes Regarding the Distance Test
  • This was not a distance test per se, since that would have to look at performance past 100% and side spin shots. Here we are simply testing distance lost when one misses 0%.
  • A total of 109 hits were recorded, divided approximately equally between the 3 sets of irons. For most locations (pixels at or away from 0%), at least 3 hits were recorded. For 8 of the 27 different combinations (9 for each iron set), only 2 hits were recorded.
  • We wanted to test "normal" shots. Normal shots are ones that are clustered around the 0% mark. Sure, now and then we hit an ugly early or late shank, but most of our shots would be in the range of +/- 4 pixels.
  • Within the margin or error of 98%-100% (tee shot), these clubs performed the same.
  • Remember that this was only an 8i. The results for a 3i might show a wider spread.
  • All hits were at the 100% mark (verified with screen magnifier).
  • No emotional flames please :) Learning something is more important than being right, imho. We all have our favourite clubs for whatever reason, and that is fine. But, this has nothing to do with testing. Based on these limited results, there is no valid argument that these clubs are anything but "approximately equal" in distance. A 1 yard difference is not the difference maker in a shot. Far more important would be hitting the proper % for distance and hitting 0%.
  • But why don't hurricanes give better results? Because Hurricanes are no better at losing distance close to zero than the other clubs. Using Hurricanes is like having insurance -- insurance against the really early or really late hit. Within the normal range of hits, it does not out-perform others in terms of distance lost.
  • But why aren't Tornados longer? It is a common myth in the game that they are longer, and perhaps they are by a yard or two for 105% full 9 spin (would require testing). But for no spin, for even the long irons such as the 3i and 4i, all 3 types of irons are within 1-2 yards of each other on any given hit. Maybe for hits past 100% there is a difference, but for 100% hits, there just is none. Just for fun, to backup what I knew from before, I hit each 3i for at least 2 perfect hits. All 3 types of 3i hit 324 yards +/- about .5 yards.

Accuracy Results

For the accuracy results, we are again hitting the 8i. We are trying to measure how wide of the target is a shot that misses 0%. We only recorded shots that were 0%, +/- 6 pixels.

Accuracy Test Methodology
Accuracy is a hard thing to measure in this game. There is no hole we can use under controllable conditions. The best I could think of, was a test in the range using a known spot close to the side of the range. There is a decent margin or error in the method, but we recorded a large number of hits in an attempt to smooth the results.

The last image below shows the target circle for the accuracy test with the 8i. This target is set by clicking left 5 times. We recorded multiple hits at 0% to know the location of the ball for at 0% hits, then recoded the misses, the shots +/- 6 pixels from 0%, relative to this known location.

The shots were measured in driving range stripes. If one assumes that the target circle is approximately 10 yards wide, which is a good approximation, then one can see that there are approximately 11 3/4 driving range stripes in a circle. This gives us approximately .9 yards per strip. This is how we translated hits into "yards wide of target".

A small detail: For hits that would hit the brick/fence on the left side of the fairway, such as Tempest -5 to -6 pixels left of 0%, we moved the target circle away from the fence, by using 4 clicks left instead of 5, established where the 0% hits would land, then did our tests for late hits, such as those Tempest -4 to -6 hits.

Finally, as a concession to time and my wrist, I allowed for hits that were exactly 100% or 1 pixel short of 100%. I also allowed either 24 degrees or 25 degrees for the accuracy test. It took a few days of hitting using this relaxed methodology. It would have taken me far longer with the more stringent "perfect hit" requirement.

The most important thing to remember about this limited test, is that we used an 8i. These was another concession to my wrist, as I could not imagine the number of days it would take to hit perfect shots using the faster bar of say, a 4i. A 4i test would be more useful I admit. Just remember that the results for a 4i would worse than the results we show for an 8i -- the longer the shot, the more a miss will be wide of the target.

Notes Regarding the Accuracy Test
  • A total of 128 hits were recorded, divided approximately equally between the 3 sets of irons. For most locations (pixels at or away from 0%), at least 3 hits were recorded. For 12 of the 39 different combinations (13 for each iron set), only 2 were recorded.
  • We wanted to test "normal" shots. Normal shots are ones that are clustered around the 0% mark. Sure, now and then we hit an ugly early or late shank, but most of our shots would be in the range of +/- 6 pixels.
  • But why aren't the Hurricanes more accurate than the Tornados? Within +/- 6 pixels, they are not. Again, using Hurricanes is like having insurance -- insurance against the ugly early or late shank. Whether you want to pay the 100 million NG premium of Hurri over Nado for that insurance is a subjective call. If you can hit near zero, they would not be worth it from an accuracy point of view.

Scatter Plot
This scatter plot combines both results. The green (X) axis is pixels –left or +right of 0%. The dark blue (Y) axis is distance lost. The relative distance wide of the target is indicated by the size of the point/bubble and the exact value is shown next to the points/bubbles.

I remind you that these points represent averages of the more than 30 or so hits per club type. For example, we hit 30 different Tornado hits and averaged the results for each of the points around 0%.

----------------------------------------------------------

Other Notes Regarding These Tests
  • Stats while holding clubs were a constant 34 Power, 43 Impact, 6 Stamina, 169 Skill
  • All clubs used were without fittings.
  • Thanks to BBJones and KenjiK for very generous donations. The NR clubs and F/Pedoras I can buy/have bought with your donation, will help me significantly on the road to carpal tunnel :). Thanks to my guildee, EricTan for the F/Pedoras.

Conclusions
Understand that these conclusions are offered within the limited context of this test. There are other factors to consider when choosing irons; factors that we did not test. So, just remember, that our test is only for 100% hits that are clustered around the 0% mark.

The most important thing to remember about this limited test, is that we used an 8i. These was a concession to my wrist, as I could not imagine the number of days it would take to hit perfect shots using the faster bar of say, a 4i. So, remember that the accuracy results would be magnified for longer shots. For example, an 8i that misses the target 2 yards wide, may miss it 5 yards wide for a 4i.
  • In terms of distance lost, it is a statistical draw: all the irons hit the same distance.
  • Tornados are as accurate as Hurricane in this test.
  • One can see no benefit from Hurricane if you hit close to 0%.
  • Tempest, as you would expect, suffers from "spray". Its slow bar is wonderful for hitting a percentage, but if you miss zero, you will be a few yards off the target vis a vis the other two.

Miscellaneous supporting images

Shown below are the areas around 0% for the three irons are shown below. The green and purple pixels were added to show the pixel width of white and yellow.

Shown below are the marks for a “perfect hit”:

Shown below is our aiming circle for the accuracy tests:

Finally, I would encourage folks not to get religious about whichever set of pixels they might happen to hit with :). There are advantages and disadvantages to all of them.

Cheers, A

Last edited by A_In_NS on Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:33 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Test results: Accuracy of Hurri/Tempest/Nado
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:02 pm 

I can only say wow wow wow

Some very fine testing and some really amazing results.

Guess the Nado's wil be more expensive now :P

Can't wait till you give us more test results ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:47 pm 

As always another great post and some nice work mate, but I have to say that I've always used & preferred the Tempests and found that when I play with a higher than usual amount of Impact over Power (14-16 above) that they keep a good line even when missing the 0% and don't stray offline as much !!

The new 2009 versions hold the line slightly better than the Origionals when missing the 0%, as-in they don't stray as far offline, but as they have the slower bar then your far less likely to miss the 0% anyway thus being able to perform the shots you want, hitting the percentages required with more succession and ease.......I play a much higher Impact sometimes (14-16 above) as a sort of safety precaution for those odd times when I just can't hit the % I want, which in-turn also aids my Wedges making them more accurate on approach !!

Personally I've always liked Tempests the best for Irons, Wedges and Putters so I guess I'm a little bias but they've always done me proud !! hehe ;)

Each type of club has their own feel and style and therefore each are an acquired taste and take time to get used to, as A_In_Ns has proved, there's no one type of club that out performs the other or stands out enough to justify saying that it's the best, so it simply boils down to what suits YOU and YOUR style as to which is best to use, same conclusion as Putters !!

Basically.....Each to their own !! ;)

Once again though, nice work A_In_Ns !! 8-)

!! Just my 2cents........Cya on the Field !!

!! Started SO beginning of 2004 & Still addicted today !! ;)

!! Lv.100 TP due to break /-24 !!

!! Don't Think....................................Just Do !!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:08 pm 

Yes, if u need the slow bar, then Tempest is your only choice. It is EXCELLENT for nailing a distance percentage, but really sprays the ball if you miss zero. BTW phil, note that the test was done at only a decent impact of 43. I felt that was more representative of most high level players.

Sure, you could up your impact for Tempest, and one should, but then one is giving up distance. Those same stats could go to power or skill if playing some other irons.

You say:
Quote:
The new 2009 versions hold the line slightly better than the Origionals when missing the 0%, as-in they don't stray as far offline...

For all I know, this may be true :), but I doubt that testing would show it to be true. Let us not argue it here though please bro. (damn... back to range.. lol)

Cheers, A

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:04 pm 

I'm stunned by the attention to detail.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:59 am 

ainns wrote:
Yes, if u need the slow bar, then Tempest is your only choice. It is EXCELLENT for nailing a distance percentage, but really sprays the ball if you miss zero. BTW phil, note that the test was done at only a decent impact of 43. I felt that was more representative of most high level players.

Sure, you could up your impact for Tempest, and one should, but then one is giving up distance. Those same stats could go to power or skill if playing some other irons.

You say:
Quote:
The new 2009 versions hold the line slightly better than the Origionals when missing the 0%, as-in they don't stray as far offline...

For all I know, this may be true :), but I doubt that testing would show it to be true. Let us not argue it here though please bro. (Darn... back to range.. lol)

Cheers, A

My post was never meant as an arguement or to disagree as I've always agreed with your posts, we think alike and have same out-look, it was more a statement of what works for me and my style of gameplay !! ;)

Like I said, I've always preferred the Tempests only because of their style and feel of play, I don't NEED the slow bar.....That's just a bonus to me !! hehe

I also agree with your Impact setting for this test as 43 is about average for all high level players which is also what I based my statement on.....That I play a higher than average Impact setting but I forgot to mention that I do this by using an Impact Zod not by using any of my actual characters stats, therefore I don't lose any distance, only gain the extra control & accuracy I desired !! 8-)

Anyway, just thought I'd mention what works for me, great work mate.....Keep it up !!

!! Cya on the Field !!

!! Started SO beginning of 2004 & Still addicted today !! ;)

!! Lv.100 TP due to break /-24 !!

!! Don't Think....................................Just Do !!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:07 am 

Ainns,

Any chance you will incorporate the lvl 51 irons in future testing? As you know many in game use them as they are far cheaper to buy and repair than canes, nados, etc. Based on my own personal use I find them to be just as accurate as the nados even if they are a bit shorter.

It would be nice to see if the lvl 51s really are the "inexpensive performers" that everyone thinks them to be or if its just in our heads. Because as of now, I can't think of a better value club in the entire game when one compares cost vs. performance....its not even close.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:02 pm 

GamePlaya1 wrote:
It would be nice to see if the lvl 51s really are the "inexpensive performers" that everyone thinks them to be or if its just in our heads. Because as of now, I can't think of a better value club in the entire game when one compares cost vs. performance....its not even close.

I agree. No value out there better than 51's, as regards irons at least. Imho, if one can't afford Tempest, Hurri, or Nado, then 51's are the obvious choice.

The problem is time and, sometimes Pedoras as well. Every time you introduce another club into a test, it's an extra N hours in the range. It takes hours to collect the precise hits required for each club, so I always shudder at the thought of adding any more clubs than I have to.

Cheers, A

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:45 pm 

your tests are waaayyy off. before you post any tips on here, maybe should you should have your head examined.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:37 am 

ruguehuh wrote:
your tests are waaayyy off. before you post any tips on here, maybe should you should have your head examined.

Fail troll has failed.