Community - Forum
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Test resuls: Driver distance/shanking
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:33 pm 

Distance Test ________________________

This is a test of distance only. We tested the top drivers in the game and threw in a few others for comparison. Obviously there are factors other than distance to consider, such as accuracy, # of slots, ball flight, repair cost, and initial cost.

Distance Conclusions
The top 3 drivers are equal in distance: Hybrid, Tornado, and the Level 100 driver. The next level of drivers, again only for distance, are the Hurricane and Spinel Aeolos.

Here are the tabulated results of hitting the drivers at the 100% pixel, using full 3 o'clock spin:

Distance Test Methodology
We counted only those hits that were perfectly 100% (verified by screen magnifier) and at 0%, or within 1 pixel of 0%. We then calculated 3 different averages, for the hits at -1 pixel after 0%, right at 0%, and +1 pixel before 0%. To get the final distance, we averaged these 3 distances.

Very interesting that the top 3 drivers had exactly the same distance. This is not forced rounding or something similar-- it is jsut the way it worked out.

For the Hybrid, Tornado, Tornado TP, Level 100, Hurricane, and Spinel Aeolos, we had a minimum of 3 hits for each of the three 0% positions: -1, 0, and +1. For the other (lesser drivers), we only capture 2 perfect hits, again verified with screen magnifier.

We threw in the Tornado TP as we suspected that it was no longer than a regular Tornado.

The base stats used were: Power 35, Impact 45, Stamina 23, and Skill 146. I wanted to use higher than normal stamina as a hedge against the 98%-100% variability of tee shots.

If a driver came with default settings, we did not adjust our stats. This applied to the Spinel Aeolos, which came +6 power and +1 impact, and to the Aeolos IV driver, which came +2 power and +6 impact. In other words, for these two drivers, the extra stats were in play.

Tornado Distance Myth
We hear all the time that the Tornado XXX is the longest in the game. This is a myth. We have tested the driver, the 5w and irons in past tests, and they all show that Tornado is no longer than the other top club(s).

I know that many players believe that one can hit a Tornado past 105% with less chance of shank (the sideways OB shot) than with other drivers. This is certainly not true versus the Hurricane or Hybrid (see below). With any driver, as long as you hit early (before 0%) when you hit past 105%, your chances of shanking are much lower.

Hurricane Performance
At -8 yards less, this is a significant strike against the club. As per the iron test, it is worth remembering that the only real advantage of Hurricane is the "ugly shank insurance" and hits past 105%. For hits clustered around 0%, it is very likely no more accurate than other drivers (see iron test).

The Aeolos Driver
This driver has a reputation for being wild if you miss 0%. While it did well in this distance test, it is no replacement for the Hurricane.

The Level 100 Driver
Overall, it measured .5 yards less in this test. This is meaningless. The other advantages of the 100 are compelling. It is forgiving, fits easily, and has a slow bar.

Tester's Choice :)

For non-100's:
For players less than level 100, the best driver in the game is the Hybrid/United Cup.
As far as any driver and it shanks less than the Tornado. Also, it has a slow bar.

For level 100's:
The level 100 driver.
As far as any really. It shanks less than the Tornado. It fits easily. It has a slow bar. It has a wide yellow area per the Hurricane.

Shank Test ________________________

Sometimes, against our better judgment perhaps, we hit past 105% to try to squeeze a little more distance out of a shot. It is likely that some clubs are more likely to allow such shots without shanking as often as some other clubs. By shank, I mean that shot that goes sideways-O.B. or one that comes up very short; either of which should not be risked in any game that really counts. Here are our shank test results:

As you can see, we had 19 hits for each driver, spread around the 0% mark. For each driver, there were at least 3 perfect 100%/0% hits.

Late hits will are more likely to shank than early hits (before 0%). For this reason, we show that we had 11 late hits for each of the 3 driver.

A "hard" shank is the sideways, go nowhere shot. A "soft" shank is a shot that is way shorter than normal (like 70 yards short on a 470 yard shot). For calculating the %age of hits shanked, we count a "soft" shank as 1/2 a hard shank.

The "Avg pixels hit at 0%" tells us where our average hit was vis a vis the 0% pixel. As you can see, we were closest to 0% on average with the Tornado, and farthest away from 0% on average with the Hybrid.

The "Avg pixels for late hits" indicates for late hits, our average number of pixels late. As you can see, on average, our Tornado late hits were less late than the other two.

Shank Test Conclusion
From the point of view of shanking then, we have to say Hurricane is the best. However, with Hurricane being shorter than Hybrid, the best overall choice is probably the Hybrid.

------------------------------------------------------
Other Notes
  • All hits done at 25 degrees. All hits were verified for 100% and 0%, -1 pixel from 0%, or +1 pixel from 0%, using a screen magnifier.
  • 3 F/Pedora and 2 Haoma II were used in this test.
  • Thanks to Harry_Ballsonya and japaroo for lending drivers to test.
Cheers, A

Last edited by A_In_NS on Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Test resuls: Driver distance/shanking
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:53 pm 

SITTING here at work and finding this read very interesting. Thx for putting the time into doing this. I always wondered.

I got something for ya. I use a tornado red bomber fitted on skill and power. im a lvl 68. I also use 3 zods(+2 on all) but my buddy who is a lvl 53 using a hybrid driver(stated out) can about drive as far as me. any clues why?

IGN = potski
Level = 80 Tour Pro
Handicap = Doesnt matter cause they are all different!
Hole In One's = 9
Albatross's = 1 but doesnt show cause its happy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:50 pm 

Yeah, he must have better "distance optimised" stats that you do bro. This would have to be the #1 reason. Secondary reasons could be:

... he uses more side spin (or is more efficient at finding full 3/9)
...he has killer fittings on the driver
...he has nicer stat clothes
...he has better zods and ball loaded

Add me in game and we can talk about your stats.

Cheers, A

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:07 pm 

;) ty guys excellence at its best, been waiting for a good driver test, too poor to do my own but this definately clears up a bunch of arguements, lol.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:08 pm 

I thought I'd post the list I got from SO a little while back, regarding the Premium Drivers in the game, when I asked them which hits the furthest which is interesting when compared to ainns test results.....

ShotOnline wrote:
Hello Phil,

Here are the rankings made by the GM's of the game for the driving distances (furthest on top) in descending order:

Tornado Tp bomber
Royal Players
Hybrid
United cup
Original tornado
2009 Hurricane
Hurricane
2009 Tempest
Tempest

Sincerely,
Shot-Online team

!! Cya on the Field !!

!! Started SO beginning of 2004 & Still addicted today !! ;)

!! Lv.100 TP due to break /-24 !!

!! Don't Think....................................Just Do !!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:17 am 

LOL at that list Phil. Sounds to me like the marketing department provided it. :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:40 am 

ainns wrote:
Yeah, he must have better "distance optimised" stats that you do bro. This would have to be the #1 reason. Secondary reasons could be:

... he uses more side spin (or is more efficient at finding full 3/9)
...he has killer fittings on the driver
...he has nicer stat clothes
...he has better zods and ball loaded

Add me in game and we can talk about your stats.

Cheers, A

Great job, maybe you can do a test for this: "distance optimised" stats for normal / high skill builds.

Thank you

Pachu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:55 am 

nachi2011 wrote:
Great job, maybe you can do a test for this: "distance optimised" stats for normal / high skill builds.
Thank you
Pachu

You can get much help in that regard from seeing these previous tests:

# Test/study: Power stat
# Test results: Are there "magic" thresholds?

A test results are listed in this post:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=46007

--------------

To figure out exactly which set of stats gives the maximum distance is not necessarily a good idea. There are two problems in my opinion:

(1) It would take days of testing and many, many F/Pedora and/or Haomas. This is not practical if one is dedicated do performing rigorous (to the pixel) tests.

(2) It's not worthwhile. We already know some rules that should guide us in setting stats without resorting to searching for that last extra 1.5 yards. In other words, we have done enough testing to see where, more or less, the maximum distance is found. For example, we know for a "power build" that approximately after 55, adding to Power is not a good bet. We know for a "skill build" that adding power after about 40 is not a good bet. In the end, a test for maximum distance is searching for an extra 1.5 yards. This is not worth it imo.

I strongly recommend that one forget about the 1.5 yards one might gain. With little effort, one can get in the right range of the maximum distance.

Playing well is not about distance. I would put distance at about #6 on any list of what helps a player score well. Having distance without accuracy, or having distance without knowing how to play wind, is not very useful. :)

Cheers, A

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:46 pm 

Bump. Someone was looking for this and the easiest thing for me to do was bump it. :)