Community - Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shot Online Playing Myths
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:36 pm 

some good tips there m8 got a good research project going pm me in game T_U_C_K_O ill get u some pedoras for ur stamina testing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:17 pm 

richardhardley wrote:
Gonutz you said you have 43 impact 60 something power. I am curious was that an exaggeration?? Or does that actually work.

Wasn't an exaggeration. I'm using that setup so I can play 21 stam and 59s. If you have the NG to spend, try 60 power, 50 impact, and the rest into skill. That should net you about max distance for straight shots, which are an asset for Alfheim. I remember shooting a -27 on Alf at level 68 using 65p 61i and around 35 skill I think, with level 57 clubs. That's a good build for handicapping imo.

~ Comprehensive Club Comparison Guide
~ Comprehensive List of Stat Clothes
~ In Depth Stat Guide
~ My Shot Online Goals

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:41 am 

any 50+ impact build is good for handicapping, you could take your skill build and throw on 3 sags and put up a pretty sick handicap score :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:29 pm 

Changed stats to what you suggested GoNutz and scored -27 on my first try. Man that was easy. Should have changed my stats a long time ago.

Overall: -305 (-17.94 average)
General HC: -29
HIO's & Albys: 62

2nd IGN: Chubbs_zyg
level: 42.256 (semi pro)
General HC: -28
-------------------------------------

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:01 am 

I'll have to try some sags :P

I run 35p/45i already tho. So, 1 sag should suffice, no? Or should I go 2?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:08 am 

Elaneous wrote:

Load two if u can. I run with 53 all the time, which some may find shocking in this "era of distance". For a match, I load a Sag, boosting it to 59. I also have +3 Impact fittings on my irons, boosting it to 62 in a match.

I play with mostly 99's -> 103's. Am just as long as 90% of them. What am losing here? I mean, I could take 8 off my normal Impact, lowering it to a more common 45, but what would I gain? If I used those 8 as Skill stats, I'd gain 5-6.5 yards I figure. Big deal.

Impact... yummy. :)

Last edited by A_In_NS on Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:10 am 

agreed, impact is a far more useful to a level 100+ than hitting the ball and extra 4 or 5 yards.

however, for those on the edge of reaching some important greens hold off on stacking the impact.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:45 am 

ainns wrote:
Hurricanes are more accurate.
Hurricanes are no more accurate when missing zero. What Hurricanes give you is “shank insurance”. A hurricane is less likely to shank on hits that miss 0% by a lot or hits that are past 105%.

that's not completely true!

Hurricanes are more accurate when it comes to hurricane driver.

I coudn't understand why my fairway woods are less accurate than my driver (hurricane gold), so i went testing: I've tested hurricane 3w and tornado 3w - both had the same accuracy. So for a moment i though that maybe just drivers hit more accurate than fairway woods. But my friend (peikanelo) told me that the hurricanes are in fact more accurace than others when it comes to the driver. So i bought quickly tornado S to compare them and it went right. Tornado S was about the same accurate as tornado 3w and hurricane 3w, while hurricane driver was more accurate.

Is you still don't believe me that hurricanes drivers are more accurate then maybe this will make you: i'm happily playing my hurricane driver with 38impact(55power,35skill) and it's quite accurate! And when i forget to use the loki drink with my fairway woods and miss the 0 by 1-2pixels, the ball may land even 10 yards away from the target.

So if you want to sacrifice your impact for the power&skill (like i did), you have to pick the hurricane driver, accurate irons, and forget about depending on your fairway woods without a drink.

Anyway i'm still gonna build my impact now, beacuse i can't add anymore skill without adding impact(could start to shank with max spin and 105%), i can't gain much distance for now, but i could get my fairway woods work as they should, and make my other clubs more accurate.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:23 am 

First off, and I say this with a smile, there is no need for bold red font and exclamation points :)

I am trying to take the emotion out of things with these tests. Peeps get attached to their sets of pixels, like they get attached to sports teams-- they become fans. That is fine, but it is based on emotion.

If you are going to claim that "such and such is true", on a thread where a rigorous test was performed, then you are obligated, imho, to perform a similar rigorous test of your own. Otherwise, and again this is mho, you are just confusing people with a claim that may or may not be true. The only way we know whether something is true or not is if it is tested rigorously.

A final point about "truth". When someone, not necessarily you, says something is "true", one always needs to know "how true". For example, one might say "It is true that Hybrid woods are longest in the game." or "Tornado fairway woods are longer than Tempest!". While these statements are technically true, they are both barely true. A player needs to know that if we are talking about a couple of yards (as in these two statements), then distance is really not a factor in deciding which clubs to buy.

So, I close with these necessary questions:

1) How did you determine this? What was your methodology?

2) How much more accurate are you claiming? A 1/4 of a yard over 350 yards or something important like 4 yards over 350 yards?

Cheers, A

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:50 am 

If my red font has been received like i would write with anger etc., than i'm sorry. The only reason why i've put red font there was to take readers attention, because people probably believed in the anti-myth without checking it (like i did before).

Anyway i believe that this anti-myth is not true. My personal test for my settings followed it, and i know it from a 100+lvl friend in the first place. That's why i would suggest to not believe in this anti-myth when it comes to drivers. I'm not saying that i'm absolutely sure about that, i'm just saying what i believe in, and how those clubs behaved on the driving range for my stats.

ainns wrote:
If you are going to claim that "such and such is true", on a thread where a rigorous test was performed, then you are obligated, imho, to perform a similar rigorous test of your own. Otherwise, and again this is mho, you are just confusing people with a claim that may or may not be true. The only way we know whether something is true or not is if it is tested rigorously.

i think it's better (in worst scenario) to make ppl confuse/not knowing what is right, then believing in something that may be wrong (which in my opinion is).

That wasn't any kind of personal attack or something, i'm truhly sorry if you felt this way. I just found some doubts about that theory that hurricanes are no more accurate then others, and i wanted to share it, that's all.

edit:
ainns wrote:
So, I close with these necessary questions:

1) How did you determine this? What was your methodology?

2) How much more accurate are you claiming? A 1/4 of a yard over 350 yards or something important like 4 yards over 350 yards?

I used the same power(mostly 80% to exclude the shanks) and hit the swing in about the same place (orange area right side on tornado swing). I've hit the ball without a spin, and observe how much it was deviating from the straight line. Hurricane driver shots were turning about twice as short as either on of those: tornado s,hurricane3w,tornado 3w. Because 1/2 is quite much, after making several repetition i suggested that the difference is big enough to believe in this as a fact.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:21 am 

The Hurricane driver may well be more accurate than others. We simple do not know. I will modify the myths to say "irons". Until we know for sure, i think you are right to suggest that we says "irons" and not generalize to other clubs.

I did not take this personally at all bro. Again, I am just trying to keep emotion out of this.

Take this as a criticism from one colleague to another: your methodology is so bad, so uncontrolled, that you should not be making any claims based on what you observed. This is not an attack on you, it is pointing out only the primary importance of conducting any test in a rigorous fashion.

Any test of driver accuracy-- any whatsoever-- would have to be done at 100% or higher (the normal condition), would have to verify which pixel was struck around 0%, and would require multiple hits at various pixels to average the results (to account for 98%-100% tee condition).

What do we know for sure-- really know. We know that hurricane irons are not more accurate than, say, Tornado. All the rest is hearsay and assumption:
I think such and such... or
My buddy swears that such and such....

Imo, the iron test is a hint as to the accuracy of the other Hurricane line relative to other clubs. We do not know for certain that the driver is any more of less accurate, but the only data we do have suggests that it probably is not.

Perhaps at this point, we could take this offline and chat in-game... Cheers --A

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:51 am 

As far as this "will more stamina make chipping from sand/rough more consistent" is concerned, at a high enough level of course, but not by much unless you have a very high stamina. I use a werd SW with like 6 extra stamina, and do my coupon rounds with 3 +2's, so even with my base stamina of 2 with SW in hand I have around 18-20 stamina, and I get about 83/84-100% out of rough. Now that narrows the window of the distance/percent your ball will go/be affected by.

As far as will you get 100% of what you hit more often, I can't confirm/deny it, but I doubt it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:59 pm 

Made a few edits to the main post and added the myth regarding low power and wind/weather.

Also, thanks to eFse7en for pointing out a few things to me that needed clarification or correction.

Cheers, A

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:24 am 

Bump. Been getting PMs asking where this is. Here it is :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:45 pm 

ainns wrote:
Elaneous wrote:

Load two if u can. I run with 53 all the time, which some may find shocking in this "era of distance". For a match, I load a Sag, boosting it to 59. I also have +3 Impact fittings on my irons, boosting it to 62 in a match.

I play with mostly 99's -> 103's. Am just as long as 90% of them. What am losing here? I mean, I could take 8 off my normal Impact, lowering it to a more common 45, but what would I gain? If I used those 8 as Skill stats, I'd gain 5-6.5 yards I figure. Big deal.

Impact... yummy. :)

Since this post I changed my overall stats to 35p/50i (this is for Aoeki lvl 93). I still can't really improve my hdcp on alf. I still fall rather short of the hole on many holes requiring a chip and ending with a bird (instead of an eagle), which makes it difficult to achieve a decent score. I must be doing something wrong as I've never shot over a -25 on alf on any toon (and my best on Sosori is -24). Maybe I really do suck at this game....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next