Community - Forum
It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shot Online Playing Myths
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:25 pm 

Here's a myth that even high level players actually believe still effects their shots.

Myth: Adding Back side spin with help slow the ball down with Woods and adding top side spin will help it roll longer.

Fact: Back and side have NO EFFECT at all on woods. If you do full backspin and move it a tiny bit over, all it is counting is you moving it a bit over whichever way you've moved it, doesn't matter if its top or bottom added, it will preform the same.

Putting Chart

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:22 am 

Nice one. Will add to list, explaining how top and bottom diminish to zero as one works down the irons into the woods. Cheers, A

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:24 am 

But...

Does moving the dot into a backspin position help a ball fly higher with a wood or driver when its playing downwind, hence getting more distance?

Or is this a myth too?

P.S. I've also heard that putting top spin on a wood will help one gain more distance into a headwind....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:53 pm 

GamePlaya1 wrote:
But...

Does moving the dot into a backspin position help a ball fly higher with a wood or driver when its playing downwind, hence getting more distance?

Or is this a myth too?

P.S. I've also heard that putting top spin on a wood will help one gain more distance into a headwind....

Nope, top and backspin wont effect the balls performance at all with woods, 3 iron and 4 iron. 5 iron to SW it will.

So it's 1W, 3W, 5W, 3 Iron and 4 Iron that top and backspin have no effect on. Just test full top or full bottom on any of those clubs and the circle wont move at all. It's only when you add a bit side is when it does.

Putting Chart

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:08 am 

MunkeysUncle wrote:
GamePlaya1 wrote:
But...

Or is this a myth too?

Nope, top and backspin wont effect the balls performance at all with woods, 3 iron and 4 iron. 5 iron to SW it will.

So it's 1W, 3W, 5W, 3 Iron and 4 Iron that top and backspin have no effect on. Just test full top or full bottom on any of those clubs and the circle wont move at all. It's only when you add a bit side is when it does.

While everything you said is right munks, i dont think thats what he was asking. Yeah you can see that the circle doesnt move for the 4i - 3w with top or backspin, but i think he was asking something else. Something more along the lines of does the back or topspin change the height of the shot, therefore leaving it in the air for a shorter or longer period of time, thus shortening or lengthening the shot. My answer on this is I have no idea, but one could test this out easily in the driving range.

nap

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:19 pm 

Right, but because it doesn't effect the distance, I don't see how it can possible effect the height / roll.

Putting Chart

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:05 pm 

So I did a little experiment in the driving range with zero dot and full 5:30-6:30 spin.

Here is what I found, all shots were hit on 100% on backswing and pretty close to 0% on downswing. All shots hit with non-fitted TP Bomber.

With 0 Tail wind, sunny, and 28 degrees, the nuetral dot drives went between 361 and 364 yards - 5 shots

With 0 Tail wind, sunny, and 28 degrees, the full down 5:30 drives went between 364 and 367 yards - 6 shots

With 4 Tail wind, sunny, and 28 degrees, the nuetral dot drives went between 408.8 and 411.2 - 6 shots

With 4 Tail wind, sunny, and 28 degrees, the full down 5:30 and 6:30 drives went between 412.8 and 415.3 - 11 shots

It could be within marigin of error but I found when using the full down spot in the 5:30 or 6:30 position, the drives went consistently further in thier respective ranges.I.E. The max and min were both higher.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:42 pm 

what about the myth/fact/glitch that wind blowing from right to left will affect the ball less (distance wise) than from left to right
just a thought as i have used this for deciding a shot for a while now seems to be true also need to be slightly into the face

Class B as of 16th of janurary 2010 =]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:22 pm 

It's just a myth. The reasonable way to test such things is to apply only topspin or only backspin and:

1) see if circle reacts AT ALL
2) hit perfect (to the pixel) 100% and 0% shots 3 or 4 times to get an accurate average and compare to no-spin shots.

I do not believe moving the dot above or below the equator has any affect whatsoever on the 3i, 5w, 3w, and driver, and likely, not the 4i either. I can not see any effect. No effect on distance. No effect on height. No effect on how ball reacts on landing.

Cheers, A

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:00 am 

ainns wrote:
It's just a myth. The reasonable way to test such things is to apply only topspin or only backspin and:

1) see if circle reacts AT ALL
2) hit perfect (to the pixel) 100% and 0% shots 3 or 4 times to get an accurate average and compare to no-spin shots.

I do not believe moving the dot above or below the equator has any affect whatsoever on the 3i, 5w, 3w, and driver, and likely, not the 4i either. I can not see any effect. No effect on distance. No effect on height. No effect on how ball reacts on landing.

Cheers, A

Ainns,

All of my shots were perfect 100% hits, because if they weren't I wouldn't do the 3rd click. Granted on the 3rd click, some were dead on, others I barely missed too soon or too late.

But it still doesn't explain how the range for these shots was so consisently different. If it didn't matter wether zero dot or 5:30 back dot was used, then wouldn't we expect to see these ranges have a decent amount of overlap, if not overlapping on most shots...but this was not the case.

On average each shot was consitently 3-4 yards longer across the board when using the full down 5:30 spin.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:04 am 

Why 5:30 instead of straight 6.... as any side spin will add some distance to shots.

Last edited by spudgy on Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:15 am 

spudgy wrote:
Why 5:30 instead of straight 6.... as any sides pin will add some distance to shots.

Spudy,

Very good point indeed. Looks like its back to the practice area to test with full 6 spin. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:30 am 

tucko88 wrote:
what about the myth/fact/glitch that wind blowing from right to left will affect the ball less (distance wise) than from left to right
just a thought as i have used this for deciding a shot for a while now seems to be true also need to be slightly into the face

I´m free to share my thoughts.. :shock:

I think, this is because of the "add 1 hour to the wind-direction" saying.

To be precise, myth would be:
X-Wind from left to right is blowing in your face,
X-wind from right to left is blowing in your a s s... :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:51 am 

fodera wrote:
To be precise, myth would be:
X-Wind from left to right is blowing in your face,
X-wind from right to left is blowing in your a s s... :D

well mostly it is true. What i've understood from here: http://evergreengolf.webs.com/truewind.htm - is that the wind angle is rounded down, even if you think it's 0degrees it can be in <0;22,5) range. 22,5 came from dividing 360 degrees by 16, while you have 16 arrows positions.
I translate it myself this way: true direction of the wind can be when we would turn the arrow that game is displaying us, slightly clockwise. So If the game is displaying the wind as N, true wind is pointing the North or between N and NE.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:15 pm 

GamePlaya1 wrote:
All of my shots were perfect 100% hits, because if they weren't I wouldn't do the 3rd click. Granted on the 3rd click, some were dead on, others I barely missed too soon or too late.

At the risk of sounding like an a-hole, this is no good bro. The only reports one should pay any attention to are those that are pixel perfect at both ends - the 100% and the 0% AND had enough hits to give a reliable average.

Missing 0% can affect a shot by as much as 3 or 4 yds and the inherent randomness in 98%-100% can also affect a longer shot by as much as 2 or 3 yards. All in all, this means that you get some shots in there that are off as much as 5-7 yards.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next