Community - Forum
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shot Online Playing Myths
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:38 pm 

eFse7en wrote:
well mostly it is true. What i've understood from here: http://evergreengolf.webs.com/truewind.htm - is that the wind angle is rounded down, even if you think it's 0degrees it can be in <0;22,5) range. 22,5 came from dividing 360 degrees by 16, while you have 16 arrows positions.
I translate it myself this way: true direction of the wind can be when we would turn the arrow that game is displaying us, slightly clockwise. So If the game is displaying the wind as N, true wind is pointing the North or between N and NE.

I did not intend to say it´s not true, I just don´t know for sure.
I´m just dropping in thrilling myths that can be looked at by the Mythbuster himself.
To be honest: Sometimes it feels, it was true. Sometimes not...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:37 am 

ainns wrote:
GamePlaya1 wrote:
All of my shots were perfect 100% hits, because if they weren't I wouldn't do the 3rd click. Granted on the 3rd click, some were dead on, others I barely missed too soon or too late.

At the risk of sounding like an a-hole, this is no good bro. The only reports one should pay any attention to are those that are pixel perfect at both ends - the 100% and the 0% AND had enough hits to give a reliable average.

Missing 0% can affect a shot by as much as 3 or 4 yds and the inherent randomness in 98%-100% can also affect a longer shot by as much as 2 or 3 yards. All in all, this means that you get some shots in there that are off as much as 5-7 yards.

I think you still miss my point....this is basic stats 101 stuff here!

If all my misses are random are you suggesting its just coincidence that all my misses with 5:30 spin were all better misses than my misses with zero dot and therefore, thats why they all went 3-4 yards longer on average?

Given that I have nearly 30 data points, wouldn't we expect to see the ranges on both sets of data more or less the same if there really is no difference in the distance they travel?

I'm not saying your way of testing isn't superior to mine, but based on general randomness these ranges should at least overlap for the most part, but neither of them do. Because as mentioned it would be one helluva coincidence if I hit all my zero dot shots "less solid" than my 5:30 ones.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:02 am 

GamePlaya1 wrote:
ainns wrote:
GamePlaya1 wrote:
All of my shots were perfect 100% hits, because if they weren't I wouldn't do the 3rd click. Granted on the 3rd click, some were dead on, others I barely missed too soon or too late.

At the risk of sounding like an a-hole, this is no good bro. The only reports one should pay any attention to are those that are pixel perfect at both ends - the 100% and the 0% AND had enough hits to give a reliable average.

Missing 0% can affect a shot by as much as 3 or 4 yds and the inherent randomness in 98%-100% can also affect a longer shot by as much as 2 or 3 yards. All in all, this means that you get some shots in there that are off as much as 5-7 yards.

I think you still miss my point....this is basic stats 101 stuff here!

If all my misses are random are you suggesting its just coincidence that all my misses with 5:30 spin were all better misses than my misses with zero dot and therefore, thats why they all went 3-4 yards longer on average?

Given that I have nearly 30 data points, wouldn't we expect to see the ranges on both sets of data more or less the same if there really is no difference in the distance they travel?

I'm not saying your way of testing isn't superior to mine, but based on general randomness these ranges should at least overlap for the most part, but neither of them do. Because as mentioned it would be one helluva coincidence if I hit all my zero dot shots "less solid" than my 5:30 ones.

the difference in your distances is coming from the slight amount of sidespin that you you are applying to the ball when you do your 5:30.

test it really simply: go to range. do some shots with 1 'dot side spin (hold shift +right arrow). compare these distances to your 5:30 position (shift+ right down down down). the results will be the same.

thereby proving what i said above.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:32 am 

Added myth that TP_Bomber goes farther, relative to others, in a headwind. I had heard it before, and this new instance of the myth prompted its addition to our list:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=48600&p=327357#p327357

There have been a number of myths surrounding Tornados. It is fascinating to me. You've heard these myths I am sure:
* they go father in rain or wind
* they are longest in game
* TP_Bomber longer than regular Tornado
* you can hit past 105% more reliably than others

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:23 am 

Top/bottom spin affects a wood shot. (MunkeysUncle)
Top and bottom spin have no effect on wood shots. As you move up from irons into woods, top/bottom spin effect is diminished, until around the 3 iron/5W area, when it begins to have no effect.

Ever try using full topspin/backspin as a newb on hole....(uhh, crap...the par 4 with the arch in the middle...)..7?

The ball curves less upward so you can go under the arch better with full topspin. Try it :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:42 am 

Sorry bro, but I stand by the evidence: Top and bottom spin have no effect on wood shots.

I have tried many different tests to see if top/bottom has any affect on woods. I can find no effect. The target circle does not move, the distance does not change, and, as far as I can see, the height is identical. All u need to do is a test where you are applying only top or only bottom.

If you are relying on a shot where side spin is involved, it is only the side spin that is affecting the shot.

If someone thinks woods are affected by top/bottom, I issue the following challenge:

Show me a shot where you apply some top or bottom and it has some effect. You must use a set number of Shift-<Arrow> clicks, in order to avoid any random difference if setting spin "by hand". Tell me the stats used when hitting said shot. If top/bottom is shown to have some effect, I will pay you 20 mil NGs.

Cheers, A

ps: You said this:
Top/bottom spin affects a wood shot. (MunkeysUncle)

What he said was NO EFFECT.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:47 am 

bump. peeps were looking for it

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:55 pm 

Here is another common myth circulating:

Rufus Sand is thicker than regular sand.

The most probable reason for this myth is that most people simply add a multiplier to the distance shown when they are in sand and then hit it for that distance according to their chart. This method assumes that the effect the sand lie has will "percentage-wise" on average be similar both for 8 yards sand shot as well as 35 yard sand shot (or to be more concise 25%powerish shot vs 70%powerish shot), however this is not the case since sand shot hit with low % power loses significantly more in distance in percent than what a higher % power sand shot does.

Now where does Rufus come into this?

Well on Rufus, most players typically experiences a lot of these very short sand shot which then subtract more in distance (percentage-wise) than the more traditional green-side sand shot distance which on most courses usually are 15-30yards, making them more often than usual end up short on their sand shot due to the unusual high frequency of very short sand shots. This may create the illusion that Rufus sand is thicker.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:24 pm 

''Rufus Sand is thicker than regular sand.''

I have always found them to play thinner but this could be an illusion as I find the greens play very fast and you tend to get more roll from the ball.

And thus we lead to another question of myth or fact......do greens on different courses play differently??

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:31 pm 

Good post about Rufus sand. It is queued for entry into myth list as:

Myth: Rufus sand is different than other sand.

However, an open discussion is warranted first, since this is not something that i know "for sure".

Question:
Is there any difference in sand other than the different %ages shown? Put another way, is 68%-82% sand (or whatever) the same on all courses.

I know that I play it as if it is the same on all courses.

----

As regards greens:
The only greens that I play differently than others is Sosori. On Sosori, I play more break.

Do others do the same? Can we agree that Sosori greens are "different". Are there others?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:56 am 

Just ask a member of Band of Brother if Rufus sand plays any different....

Those guys put up crazy low scores there, so if anyone knows, they do.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:57 am 

"There are no magic stat thresholds"

This is not true.

28 stamina is where one goes from 98%-99% to 99%-100% on the fairway, and at different intervals one gets more accuracy from sand and rough with more stamina, and it takes more and more stamina for a per cent point as you increase the total.

(Also: Isn't 36 skill where the 'tire tracks' ball spin starts?)

One can probably assume that all other stats work like Stamina does-- that is, with thresholds-- but that we just don't see them with explicit numbers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:33 pm 

rhalle wrote:
28 stamina is where one goes from 98%-99% to 99%-100% on the fairway,

Yeah, it goes from 98.96%-100% to 99.00%-100%. Very magic!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:05 pm 

Been many, many months since this was on the front page of posts. I have seen some of the old myths creeping back, so I thought it was finally time to bump this back up for newer peeps to see.

Cheers, A

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:52 am 

About top/back spin on driver... I'm not shure, but imho, back spin on driver HAVE efect. Let's see...
Of course, if I can test that on driving range or on practicing field, I should say without doubt, but I can't. Need help here.
U know that field on volcano, where the FW rise up, and mid lvl players shot somewhere arround the tree in the rough. I think I found that driver with BS go higher and reach almost top of FW - pretty far away from that tree and rough.
A 2nd case is a long course on hela. Ordinary drive shot (possibly with tail wind) fly so low that ball slide on FW grass. I think that BS add ... let's say yard or 2 at hight.
Of course, there are a more than this 2 courses, but those are significant. Actually, U can check this wherever ball fly low, comparing Ur backspined shot with competitors shot(s).
And, please, don't say anything before U make at last 5 properly checking, and if U doubt after that, make another check.
As I say, I "feel" that work, and I'm curious what will U find out :-))
GL & HF
Jani_m

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next