Community - Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Test result: High lvl trading 10P/10S
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:07 am 

There was a friendly argument in a thread on the general forum that revolved around the notion that "woods like power". I have had this in my myths thread since the beginning. This test confirms that it is at least a near-myth.

The central thesis discussed on the original thread that we agreed to test was based on this assertion by a poster:

However power is what gives you your hight on ur woods. Which in turn is gonna = more distance. The power curve for a high skill user is more like 45. (if you feel you must test this theory..go to abel hole 15 with 37 power and 45 power..you'll likely hit the top of the door when you hit threw with 45 power)

This test applies to high level players. It tests trading 10 Power for 10 Skill. The results show that a very small distance is added to the woods, so the poster is not wrong. However, the distances are so very close.

Here are the results:

While we can saw that Power helps a very small amount more than Skill after about 35 Power, it is worth remembering the following two points that are more important:

* a proper stat setup helps both irons and woods about equally

* in general, one is seeking the point at which Power stops adding obvious distance, as one want to use Skill stats when Power and Skill are adding about the same distance

As regards height on woods shots, I could not see any benefit of Power over Skill for height. I am not saying it is true or false, but simply that I could not detect it.

Please see any of my other test results posting for the standard information on methodology. Most importantly, all hits were to the pixel, verified with a screen magnifier. at 100% and 0% exactly. 6 Pedora were used in this test.

It has been some time since I posted a test. Since the last test, the following people have donated Pedora. Thanks very much to these peeps:
LooNeYNCG, HJSimpson, Willenium, HayDawg, Willstarz, TDP, ca_duder, holy35

Cheers, A

Last edited by A_In_NS on Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Test result: High lvl trading 10P/10S
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:38 am 
Good info there m8, gj,

moved to the requested section for u and left a shaddow in other thread for time being.

Mav :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:28 pm 

This is a question, not any disagreement at all. Your testing done on behalf of the community cannot be given proper credit enough. For a fact I like many others use your guides as personal reference for my clubbing/stats needs.

The question, bearing in mind I am only a mid level 93, is what differential there is for center ball strike distance. While I am taking the slow path to 100, I do find there are times when a center ball strike is preferred based on wind, rain and the sort.

With that in mind, as it regards center ball shots, I personally have found the higher power to be significant. If you can find the time, I think it would be helpful to see the differential done in your pixel accurate precision.

Please allow what you need in terms of equipment if you at some point would be willing to do a small test for center ball hit differential.

Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:31 am 

For sure bro-- distance for normal hits is a factor. However, in the scheme of things, it is a small factor imo. If one is talking about distance, then one is concerned with real distance -- the shots one gets with side spin hits.

Since it takes so long to get the perfect hits in the driving range, I tend not to include no-spin hits in most of the tests. If you check the list of test results that have been posted, you will see that a few do display no-spin distance.

As a general rule, but it is certainly not always the case, if a club A goes further with spin that club B, then club A will also be longer on no-spin hits.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:26 pm 

Have been reading this report and find it to be interesting as to power -vs- skill..
tyvm
Rusty Iron
marmar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:51 am 

Trying to refer this thread to a friend but the image in the OP is not working, you have a backup of the original a?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:30 pm 

The imageshack image shows for me. Is it not for you?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:31 pm 

I cans see the images now, thanks.