Community - Forum
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Test of Top Irons
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:36 pm 

This is a distance test of the top irons in the game. Also presented is a test of distance accuracy -- yards lost on mishits.

Methodology

We recorded 5 kinds of hits. All were pixel perfect, verified with a screen magnifier, at a screen resolution of 1024x768.

1. We recorded three (3) 0% hits hitting exactly the 0% pixel and the 100% pixel.
  2. We recorded two (2) -1 pixel hits. This is hitting the 100% pixel and then hitting 1 pixel late (left of the 0% pixel).
  3. We recorded two (2) -2 pixel hits. This is hitting the 100% pixel and then hitting 2 pixels late (left of the 0% pixel).
  4. We recorded two (2) +1 pixel hits. This is hitting the 100% pixel and then hitting 1 pixel early (right of the 0% pixel).
  5. We recorded two (2) +2 pixel hits. This is hitting the 100% pixel and then hitting 2 pixels early (right of the 0% pixel).

This for a total of 11 hits, to get some small sample of normal conditions, where one does not always hit 0%. Understand that the exact same pixels were hit each time. Here is an image showing the exact pixels hit for 0% and for 100%.

Additionally, all tests were conducted at 25 degrees. For the full 3 spin tests, the spin was set using 5x Shift-<RightArrow>.

****** Distance Test, 5 iron, full 3 spin

Stats used were: 36 56 36 170

No surprises here. There has been much talk about the relative length of the leading clubs. All we have wanted to do is present some objective results for the community. Note that the Average Distance is the average of the 3 perfect 100%/0% hits.

****** Accuracy as Distance Lost, 7 iron, no spin

Stats used were: 35 48 8 175

For this accuracy test, we used more realistic settings for the stats that would affect accuracy. We used Impact at 48 and Stamina at 8.

As you can see, the CTL is the most inaccurate and the Hurricane (Tornado would be the same) is the most accurate.

Regarding Stamina and Impact

This is well known information for most, but worth repeating for the newer players in the game. Even though you may hit the EXACT same pixels on the swing bar, the distance of a shot will vary. This is because the tee "lie condition" is 98%-100%. This is a built-in randomness. This is why two pixel-identical shots, both hitting exactly 0%, can varying by 2 or 3 yards. For testing, one can lessen this randomness somewhat by using very high Stamina. So, one could say, it is Stamina that controls the variability of 0% shots.

For shots that miss 0%, it is Impact that controls the variability of the distance. If you miss 0%, the randomness of the resulting distance and of the yards lost, is a function of (a) the Impact stat and (b) the type of club. In general, the clubs with the slower bars will lost more distance on mishits than the clubs with fast swing bars. The slow swing bar clubs are CTL Legacy, eLord, and Tempest.

--------

Edit: There was some debate concerning the CTL 7i test. Here are the hits recorded for the CTL 7i:

Distance Pixel

269.5 -2
268.1 +1
267.7 -2
272.8 0
267.1 +2
271.9 +1
268.2 0
267.3 -1
268.8 -1
268.6 0
267.7 +2

Where 0 (zero) is exactly the 0% hit, +1 is 1 pixel early, etc. To reiterate, these would all be where the exact 100% pixel was hit on the "back swing".
--------

Past iron tests can be found in the sticky post in the Tips forum:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=46007

Three Pedora were used for this test. Pedora donations going forward are always appreciated. Also, thanks to FelixPT for lending me a set of unfitted eLords.

Cheers, A

Last edited by A_In_NS on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Test of Top Irons
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:04 am 

Nice work, detailed and well presented as always bud, although I would of thought that you'd run some tests without using Full Spin and using the 3, 4 & 5i as a lot of players don't have that amount of Skill and don't always hit with Full Spin either, so in my eyes it would be more beneficial to show a clubs true distance results from straight shots using the clubs that most players use for distance.....If you see what I mean !! :?

Also, instead of adding ALL stats when setting-up, in my eyes it would be more relative to set-up similar to the average high level player....35 Power, 45 Impact, around 150-160 Skill and leave Stamina at it's base, as you don't have to distribute ALL the stats !!

I appreciate the time & effort you put-in for these tests, even if I don't agree with some of your results & statements due to the fact I've been here a lot longer and actually "played" with all the clubs in question, but I think overall they're useful as a reference for the newcomers, so nice work again mate !! ;)

!! Just my 2cents...............Cya on the Field !!

!! Started SO beginning of 2004 & Still addicted today !! ;)

!! Lv.100 TP due to break /-24 !!

!! Don't Think....................................Just Do !!

Post subject: Re: Test of Top Irons
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:16 am 

Thanks Phil. Appreciate the feedback.

A minor point, but I have also played with all the clubs. I spent many, many levels playing Tempest and Level 51's. I then switched to Hurricane. When CTL's came out, I played with those for about a month. When eLords came out, I played with those off and on for a couple of weeks. It is important to get a feel for any new club-- to see how they act compared to what you are more familiar with.

As for not "agreeing"... well... I neither agree nor disagree with what the computers says. I just record it and post the results.

Cheers, A